ARE YOUR GOODS BEING SHIPPED BY RAIL?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Movinghelper

ARE YOUR GOODS BEING SHIPPED BY RAIL?

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:30 pm

I have noticed some complaints on the web about companies shipping the customers goods by rail. This is not a bad thing as long as you know how it is being moved. For it to be shipped by rail the following usually will apply.
Your goods are picked up by the mover. Handled once.
Your good are then unloaded into the warehouse. Moved twice.
Your goods are loaded onto the rail car or in lift vans or containers. Moved 3 times.

Your goods are delivered to the destination warehouse, Moved 4 times
Your goods are unpacked to warehouse. Moved 5 times.
Your goods are loaded onto the truck for delivery to your place. Moved 6 times.

Each time you move your items you are increasing the chance of damage. You are also increaseing the number of people who handle your items.

If you are not told about the process be sure to ask. There are some companies out there that is all they are doing. This also allows them to get past DOT inpections and not having OTR equipment. Be sure they also have a DOT number when picked up or delivered on their truck. It is still an interstate move and falls under that category.,
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BillAdams

Re: ARE YOUR GOODS BEING SHIPPED BY RAIL?

Postby BillAdams » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Not to mention that rail cars will give the shipment a very rough ride as opposed to air-ride trailers used by the van lines. I'd guess there's greater chance of damage caused by this than the additional handling.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Edited by poster
Last edited by Movinghelper on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:07 pm

How about the van lines that want the agents to "containerize" "vault" small shipments less than 2500 #s & the ship via common carrier to the d/a to deliver to the residence. Shipper is paying blanket wrapped/air ride service & the shipper is receiving containerized, spring ride shipping service. Not receiving what they paid for??? Any thoughts? 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm

I believe in full disclosure. I had to do this a couple of times and informed the customers. It was also the only way to meet the scheduling during the busy season.

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 pm

I think this trend is going to grow for small move customers who can't handle or do a DIY move. Our industry really needs to figure out how to entice young people to become professional movers. Many of the old guard are retiring or leaving because of the decreasing margins and good chauffeurs are getting harder and harder to come by. This is a very difficult job to do and no one will want to do it unless they are well paid for it.

Just my $0.02 here...

promover2

Postby promover2 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 pm

NYC hit the nail on the head......it's a byproduct of the driver shortage. Often a driver will have to divert several tens or hundreds of miles to pick up a 1,000 lb shipment that he may net a few hundred bucks on......if there's one heavy or awkward piece, he needs to spend $50-$100 on labor for loading and may drive extra miles to pickup or meet the laborer if he doesn't have a ride-along. He then may have to go several miles to deliver as well and spend again on delivery labor. Fuel-related margin erosion has made it difficult to service these shipments. As for Air-Ride versus Spring Ride.......not a big difference....a lot of our logistics customers stopped requesting Air Ride as they saw no difference in claims frequency. Although pricing was the same, spring ride trailers are more common and thus more prevalent.

DonaldVA

Postby DonaldVA » Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 pm

promover2 wrote:NYC hit the nail on the head......it's a byproduct of the driver shortage. Often a driver will have to divert several tens or hundreds of miles to pick up a 1,000 lb shipment that he may net a few hundred bucks on......if there's one heavy or awkward piece, he needs to spend $50-$100 on labor for loading and may drive extra miles to pickup or meet the laborer if he doesn't have a ride-along. He then may have to go several miles to deliver as well and spend again on delivery labor. Fuel-related margin erosion has made it difficult to service these shipments. As for Air-Ride versus Spring Ride.......not a big difference....a lot of our logistics customers stopped requesting Air Ride as they saw no difference in claims frequency. Although pricing was the same, spring ride trailers are more common and thus more prevalent.

:?: Is this possibly why companies like UPS and ABT, that I know about, are apparently doing well? Seems to me it takes much less driver labor when a trailer is just left at a residence for packing and unpacking. The home owner or a third party has to deal with the packing and loading/unloading. I am thinking of using one of those companies. The rep of a local regular van line suggested that I use one instead of his company, to save money. Still I am not sure about doing it as more people will be involved, complicating my small, but long distance move. At to railroads, while our highways are often in bad shape, I cannot imagine moving household goods in a freight train. I've seen those hundreds of thousands of containers crossing the US with their Chinese imported goods. For Walmart a smashed up piece of furniture is no big deal, but for a homeowner it means much more and somebody is going to pay for the damage, right?
Too much STUFF! sort sort sort discard discard discard THEN pack it up

Return to “Open Community”