Moving from St. Louis to Houston - Need Help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
yesac316

Moving from St. Louis to Houston - Need Help

Postby yesac316 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 am

Hello - I just found out about this site and these forums and I'm very grateful already.

Our house just sold much quicker than we anticipated and we will be moving from St. Louis, MO to Houston, TX in 7 weeks from now. I knew that hiring a long distance mover would be stressful but reading alot of things on here has made me even more nervous.

Can anyone recommend a company to move our family from St. Louis to Houston? So far after the small amount of research I have done, I'm thinking about reaching out to
CORRIGAN:
http://www.corriganmoving.com/household-movers/long-distance

and
FRY-WAGNER:
http://www.fry-wagner.com/

Any feedback on those 2? And if anyone has moved long distance from here in St. Louis I would love to hear feedback.
Thanks in advance!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Moving from St. Louis to Houston - Need Help

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 am

You should get estimates from other van lines. Fry-Wagner, and Corrigan are United Van Lines agents, and would be subject to the same restrictions, so you are pitting two agents against each other.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

yesac316

Postby yesac316 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:08 am

Great point. Thanks!
From what I've read they are both pretty good to deal with.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:58 am

United and Mayflower are well represented in St. Louis, because their common owner [Unigroup] is based in Fenton.

Dodge Moving & Storage [Mayflower] is the agent I deal with the most in that area.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

moveman

Postby moveman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:23 am

Corrigan is a good United agent but they do not have an office in St. Louis. Since United and Mayflower are based in Fenton, they are both good choices.
Moveman
an honest mover

yesac316

Postby yesac316 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks again!

So far I have Fry-Wagner (united) and Dodge (mayflower) coming out for a quote next week. Probably look for one more.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:24 pm

You may want to get another van line. You're actually getting estimates that will pretty much have the same guidelines, since Mayflower and United are owned by the same company.

yesac316

Postby yesac316 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:32 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:You may want to get another van line. You're actually getting estimates that will pretty much have the same guidelines, since Mayflower and United are owned by the same company.

Great info. Thanks Lee!

promover2

Postby promover2 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Cord Moving and Storage (North American Van Lines) in Earth City, MO and Belleville, IL.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri May 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Cord is ok.

yesac316

Postby yesac316 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:24 am

After getting multiple quotes and basically 'interviewing' each one, we have decided to go with Dodge Moving & Storage (Mayflower). And they were actually a hair more expensive than the others so lowest price was certainly not our deciding factor. They seemed to do much thorough job of checking our inventory. The last thing I wanted was to run into a situation where there isn't enough room on the truck for our stuff.

I will report back as we go along.
Thanks again

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat May 05, 2012 12:31 pm

If you are looking at buying a home in the next year ask about their Citypointe Program. It can pay you back for the purchase of a home and also the cost of the valuation protection with a deductible of $250.00. You can get the full protection but they only pay you back the amount of the $250 duductible. It can benefit you in the long run.
http://www.mayflower.com/moving/relocat ... pointe.htm

I am only doing this beacuse you have made a decision on using them
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”