AC White

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BigLeeCalif

AC White

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Congrats to Archie for being with United Van Lines for 55 years. His agency was recognized in the United Newsletter
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Jeff.Walker

Re: AC White

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Congrats Archie! Here's to another 55 years. :-D

Jeff

aubie2

Postby aubie2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Congratulations!!!!!!!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate it....I've been with us for some of those years, but not all, believe it or not. I think we've still got some of the trucks that we had 55 years ago though....if you see a crackerbox jimmy, or emeryville on the road, it might be mine.

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Dang Archie, no wonder you're a conservative, you were one of the originals huh.lol

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

chptrkrules wrote:Dang Archie, no wonder you're a conservative, you were one of the originals huh.lol

Yep....but to clarify, we've actually been a United agent for 62 years, 1950, but 55 is close enough. They may have deducted some of the years we screwed up....we were an independent from 1926 to 1950...I could tell you some stories that were handed down, but nobody would believe me.

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:01 pm

C'mon Archie, at least one story. It's slow here today :lol:

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm

That ought to be worth one good Jimmy Carter story at least.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 am

chptrkrules wrote:C'mon Archie, at least one story. It's slow here today :lol:

Ok, one story, it's slow here too....this one is true, and I'm the only surviving participant...It's kind of a long type....One day about 1978, I got a call from some guy telling me he was gonna kidnap my kid, if we didn't arrange a ransom drop of $10,000, he said he would call back later with more details.

Well, this was a quandry, turns out, I have the same name as my dad, and my oldest son has the same name as me, we are Jr, the 3rd, and the 4th. I was the operations manager at the time, and my dad was still active in the biz, my son was 6 years old at the time. So I didn't know if the caller meant he was gonna kidnap me, or my son. To explain, because of the similar names, I was always getting my dads mail, and phone calls, and he would get mine, it was very confusing for the person working the phones/mail distribution etc. I was kinda hoping it was me he planned to kidnap, I'd been working about 70 hours a week back then and needed some relief.

But to be safe, we called the police for assistance. They put a tap on my phone at work, and as a few days went by, they recorded and traced the call to an apartment not too far from our office. The name of the person in the apartment was traced, but there was no connection we could make.

So the police decided to set a trap, make a dummy drop as the caller demanded, and see what happened. We all started bringing our guns to work, as at the time, we were in a rough neighborhood. So the cops borrowed a jacket of mine, and used one of our company cars, and made a drop of phony money in a package, to the vacant lot this guy demanded. Meantime, Me, my dad and uncle, were back at the office, waiting for something to happen, this was about midnight, and the police didn't call back for a while, so we were in limbo, about this time, while we were sitting up at the front desk, with glass doors looking out into the parking lot, a car pulls in the parking lot at a fast rate of speed.....instantly we all drew our guns, and crouched down behind the chairs, sofa, etc. Luckily, for us, the car just used our parking lot to turn around in, and sped off into the night....we holstered our guns, and breathed a sigh of relief. It took a while for the adrenaline to ease.
Next day, the cops told us they picked up the guy, he was a former employee, down on his luck, and thought he could make some easy money. He was staying at his uncles apartment, and using his phone, so his uncles name did not click, but as soon as the police told us the name of the guy, it made sense.

I never even told my wife or kid this story, not wanting to scare them. The kid's 40 next week, I guess I could tell him about it now. It would still freak out his mom though.

I also never told them about the time I had to punch a guys lights out on the dock, and he went out to his car to get his gun from under the seat, until some cooler heads convinced him not to.

Yep, it was cowboys and indians, back in those days, and I sure do missem. All these background checked blue collar workers and about as dull as an insurance seminar.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:That ought to be worth one good Jimmy Carter story at least.

Oh yes, I had forgotten to include a Jimmy Carter story....in 1976, when he was elected, we moved one of his main guys up to DC, I won't divulge his name, but you would recognize it, and he recently died of brain cancer.....when we moved him, he stiffed us for about $1,000...never did pay us, we didn't try to collect, we feared retaliation...not long after that, deregulation kicked in, maybe in a small way, we were responsible?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 am

Just think how things had be if you'd taken that government official to court for non-payment?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:50 pm

MusicMom wrote:Just think how things had be if you'd taken that government official to court for non-payment?

I feel somewhat responsible. If I had known a good lawyer back then, we mighta given it a try.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Oh yes, I had forgotten to include a Jimmy Carter story....in 1976, when he was elected, we moved one of his main guys up to DC

You didn't send the bill to Jimmy?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:
Oh yes, I had forgotten to include a Jimmy Carter story....in 1976, when he was elected, we moved one of his main guys up to DC

You didn't send the bill to Jimmy?

No, as I recall, everybody was on their own. In fact the story was, Jimmy just loaded his clothes into a pickup or van and moved himself. Not sure how he got home. We moved his Attorney General up and back, but he just took a little stuff, for a small apartment.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Congrats on that 55 Archie! Great story on the attempted ransom/kidnap! How about another one?

:) NYCMover

Return to “Open Community”