LA Moving Companies

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PhillyJilly

Re: LA Moving Companies

Postby PhillyJilly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 pm

First I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone for your help and advice! It has really help guide me into an educated decision.

I had two moving companies come to my house today, United and North American Movers. Both gentlemen that came to my house were great and very helpful, pointing out different tips of ways to pack to help save money. Unfortunately, both of their quotes were out of my price range, abt $4000.

I looked on the endorsed list from this site and called Broadway Express. Diana, was so helpful, friendly and answered ALL of my questions and told me call at anytime with any other questions I have. Since they are a pack it yourself truck, she told me the price would be manageable for my budget, $2120 was her quote. She emailed me my quote and I have until April 1st to sign. First, I will have my lawyer review it and then if she thinks it looks correct, I will sign and hire them. Diana did tell me I can request a driver to help me load the truck for a fee to be discussed between myself and the driver, which I will utilize.

I used the free estimate from one of the movers that saw my apt, and told Diana how many cubic square feet and lbs they estimated and that is how she arrived with my quote.

Does anyone have any feedback on my decision thus far? I really appreciate everyone's advice and can't say thank you enough! :) :) :)

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 am

At least give the companies a call and see what they would charge you for loading the truck. It would be the ethical thing to do since you used their estimating services and gave their professional work product to another company that is not paying them for it.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:19 am

Movinghelper - fair enough and great idea that I didn't think of. Will be sure to call them in the morning. Thanks. :)

Noone

Postby Noone » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Make sure you let all companies know your destination address in Phila, or at least the neighborhood/area. Getting a big truck to where you're going might very well be a problem.

chaz4moving

LA Moving Companies

Postby chaz4moving » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 pm

It is not too early to get your in-home estimates. Movinghelper mentioned United. Several of the other major van lines will also lock in your price now for an August move if you register the shipment with them within a certain period of time of the in-home survey. That time will vary from 30 to 90 days depending on the van line you call. Setting up your move now should save you a few dollars. With a cross-country move, I encourage you to contact the major van lines for a quote. In my opinion, a company that handles lots of shipments and has a substantial fleet of trucks on the road will get you from originb to destination in a reasonable time period. Major van lines have a big reputation to protect so you should be looking at a quality move, as well. Should there be an issue with tractor-trailer access at destination and depending on where yopu are moving in Philadelphia, there can be a need for shuttle service, most of the van lines cover destination shuttles at no additional fee with their Guarannteed Price options. For that reason, I do suggest you get a Guaranteed Price (binding) or Guaranteed not-to-exceed Price versus an open-ended (non-binding) quote. Each van lines has a different names for their pricing programs, but your Moving Consultant can explain the options to you when you get together with him or her for your in-home survey & estimate. Enjoy Philadelphia. It is a great city.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:57 pm

I used the free estimate from one of the movers that saw my apt, and told Diana how many cubic square feet and lbs they estimated and that is how she arrived with my quote.

While I have no problem with Broadway Express, I do not like the idea of providing one estimators survey to another company so that they can give you a quote when they have not provided a service of in home survey.

We have jobs that we get all across the country. We will PAY another agent or company to do a survey in an area we don't have representation. They get a survey fee out of the deal, even though they are doing the survey for us.

The agents that did the surveys you provided to Broadway Express not only don't get paid, but if your lawyer likes the estimate from Broadway Express, estimators that used their time and gas to do the survey get squat. See what I mean.

It's hard enough as it is to get business, but to do something and have it provided to someone else who didn't do any survey is unethical in my opinion.

You normally get several in home estimates, and select one. Not give the third guy the first guys estimate, and let him lowball it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. All of them are so very helpful! :)

chaz4moving

LA Moving Companies

Postby chaz4moving » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 am

Well put BigLee. I am with you. I do not like being used by a customer. It is unethical for a customer to show my estimate to other movers. I have had customer offer me a competitor's quote and I have refused saying it would be unfair to that person who had invested their time to prepare the quote.

slickmetal

Postby slickmetal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am

well, if she didnt mention any names and just told Broadway the cubic feet and weight, then Broadway should still want to come out and do the in-house estimate -- unless she told them it wasnt neccessary - which could lead to more charges to her later...because IMHO, they are lowballing just to snag.

Plus, were both in house estimates she did get very close to one another? If they differ pretty good, then I would still request Broadway to come out, but since they already quoted you -- I'm willing to bet you will see a similar quote even after they came out to look...

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Broadway Express is not based in California, which is why they were provided someone else's estimate.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 pm

slickmetal wrote:I would still request Broadway to come out, but since they already quoted you -- I'm willing to bet you will see a similar quote even after they came out to look...

Broadway Express does not do in-home estimates. They are a freight company and the customer pays for the actual floor space used when the goods are loaded in the truck or the floor space reserved by the customer prior to the move, whichever is greater.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”