LA Moving Companies

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PhillyJilly

LA Moving Companies

Postby PhillyJilly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Has anyone used or heard any reviews for Low Cost Moving out of Tarzana,CA and any thoughts on Los Angeles Transfer and Move? I'm a single girl with a 1 bedroom moving from the Thousand Oaks area to Philadelphia in Aug 2012. I have a king sized bed, sectional sofa, 40 inch tv, 4 chairs, 2 dressers and approx 30 boxes. Just want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of! Thanks in advance for any helpful tips! :)

Jeff.Walker

Re: LA Moving Companies

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Moved this to the open community forum from the Reviews forum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

What info did you get from each of them after they came to your house to see everything to be moved? Did you get their micense numbers, the ones starting with MC#?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Ehh, I should have just said this before. Most quotes will only be good for 30-60 days prior to your move. So if you're not moving until August, you want to start calling people for in-home visits in June. Of course, that's the busiest time of year, so.knowing who you're going to call is an important thing to know in advance.

In the case of movers, Google and quote marks are your friends. See what's been said. If there's not much, move on. If there's no website, move on. If there's no license info, move on. If the onoy thing you find is overly enthusiatis reviews, move on.
Last edited by MusicMom on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Los Angeles Transfer.is a two truck company licensed for household goods only since Oct 2011.

Lkw Cost Movers doesn't go out of state. Did they actually quote you to Philly?

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Thank you Jeff! :)

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Music Mom - YES Low Cost Moving quoted me over the phone to go to Philly. GRRRRR!!!

I have people coming this week to quote me prices. Los Angeles Transfer being one of them. I have their license numbers from their websites and plan to get more info when I meet them. I am also meeting with United, Alex's Moving Company and Beverly Hills Transfer. Bev Hills Transfer was the only one that said they can only give a quote 30 days in advance, so thank you for confirming that. :)

I have an itemized sheet I made myself if all of my items, thus far, as well as pictures. I plan to take pictures again, when my stuff is loaded on the truck. I am just trying to avoid being scammed and stuff from being stolen, which I sure every person moving wants :)

Thanks for your help! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 am

Los Angeles County is a known hotbed of unscrupulous movers. My recommendation is to stick with known Van Line agents, or movers with positive results in the superlist.

Beverly Hills Transfer and Andy's are ok, and they should come to your house to do a visual estimate. Anyone that doesn't, rule them immediately out. There are too many qualified van line agents in LA to go with someone who can only give you an online quote.

Most all of the van lines have a website with a find an agent link.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 am

Wait a moment. Which of these two movers are you talking about?

http://www.lowcostmovers.com/ (this is the one I was talking about above)

http://www.reliablelowcostmoving.com/ (This is the one I now think you're talking about, since I googled "Low Cost Moving, Tarzana")

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 am

So, you can resume your skepticism of this company. Reliable Low Cost Moving (their legal name) is working very hard to hide who's behind them. No reputable company has any problem letting you know who's in charge. Their address is a Mailboxes Etc rental mailbox. Their website is registered anonymously. They used a corporation-starting company in their incorporation records.

Their phone number led me to this ad, showing an address for RLCM in Las Vegas, at 173 Lanape Heights Ave. Las Vegas, NV 89148. This residence has also been used as the address for Universal Moving & Storage and also is listed by the BBB as the address for Safe Load Moving & Storage. You might consider calling back RLCM and ask to speak to Aynat. He's listed as the President.

And, this might give you an idea of what could happen if you use them. You said they quoted you over the phone, right? So there's no way your estimate can be accurate.

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:32 am

Thank you BigLeeCalif! I appreciate the advice. :)

Music Mom - you rock! I have def ruled out Reliable Low Cost Moving. I appreciate all of your research that I couldn't find.

I have 2 companies coming today and one on Thurs. I will be sure to post my results. Once and THANK YOU!!! :) :) :)

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 am

That should read once again, THANK YOU! :) :) :)

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 am

PhillyJilly:
If you have a United Van Lines Agent coming to your house for an in home estimate they can give you a 6 month guarantee on price if you sign the estimate within 30 days, Look for a Monday or Tuesday load and this should give you the lowest price.
I suggest you sign as soon as possible so that the fuel increase does not go up. It has climbed 9.6 cents in the last week for diesel. You can figure a 1% increase in price for every 15 cents increase in fuel cost. That is a ballpark figure only.
Last edited by Movinghelper on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

PhillyJilly

Postby PhillyJilly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Thank you movinghelper! :) Appreciate the tips!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 pm

PhillyJilly now you know why we are skeptical of companies in Los Angeles that are unaffiliated with a van line, with a few exceptions of independents.

Low cost means usually the mover operates with low cost, because they make the customer charges so high the customer pays for their operating expensive plus the move... :twisted:
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”