Tonymoving.com

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nanonano

Tonymoving.com

Postby nanonano » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Here's my report on having used www.Tonymoving.com (Northern New Jersey).

In Nov 2011, I moved from Brigantine, NJ to Los Angeles, CA. I had a prior horror story in moving, so I did a ton of diligence in trying to find a balance between cost and reputability in service.

The problem was that all the "reputable" companies were giving me estimates in the $3k ballpark. I think for $3k, I could replace everything in my 2 bedroom townhouse. Plus, I was on a budget and didn't want to spend that much.

The first discount firm that I reviewed strongly was Merit Van Lines: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... t+van+lnes (you can see my comments near the end of the thread). In the end, too many red flags left me uncomfortable. But the sub $2k price was highly tempting.

I'm Korean, BTW, so I began to look at Korean moving companies. Red flags began to go up because they all: 1) use cu feet 2) don't want to provide on-site estimates 3) had lowball prices ... they all had the signature markings of Merit Van Lines so I was very leery here as well ...

I struggled greatly and as the days passed, I had to make a decision ... at first, I tried all the big Korean brand names such as Hyundai and another, but they only did big international moves, etc. My wife found a company at www.tonymoving.com (northern jersey) ... the user comments on the site (many are in Korean) are very positive ... but again, all the telltale red flags of #1, 2, 3 listed above ... I was very hesitant ...

But we had to make a decision ... so I talked to Tony directly ... it was a key part in the decision making ... I don't know how else to explain it, but his tone and understanding of Korean culture just led me to trust him ... a couple of things were:

Tony: "The price I quote is final. No extra charges. If they give you problem in LA (SK Express), tell them to call me." The final price ended up being $1900.

Tony: "I have my reputation." ... meaning that the Korean community is "tight" ... if he acts badly, word gets out easily and quickly

RESULT:

Moving day, they arrived about 30 minutes late (perfectly acceptable). 3 people (2 koreans and 1 spanish). The older korean supervised and checked off inventory as the other two worked very hard to load the truck. Service was excellent and the job was impressively done in about 1 hour (I have 2 bedroom townhouse). I paid $1000 cash + $60 tip (I have no idea what is an appropriate tip, I suspect that many people don't tip at all), $900 due upon delivery.

The original estimate for shipping of 10 days was stretched to about 2 weeks.

I got to LA and began the wait. I still had worries about being charged more than $900 on delivery ... but even if I got squeezed 200-300 more, I would be OK considering I was already saving about $1k versus most other companies ...

All in all, using www.tonymoving.com was very good except that it look much longer than 2 weeks ... it took about 4 weeks for my furniture to arrive ... this, however, was the only downside ...

Delivery: a truck came with 3 spanish guys ... the unloading service was excellent and they did it under 1 hour ... all my stuff was there ... damage was slight and minor ... I paid $900 + $60 tip ...

So overall, I'm content to have used Tonymoving.com ... just be aware of what you're getting ... you save a ton of money, but because they do not specialize in cross country moves, they have to align moves with other people moving in the same direction ... meaning, loading 18 wheelers with multiple households ... the scheduling can take longer than anticipated ... i'm pretty sure that this was the primary reason for the long delay ... However, if you are moving within 600 miles or so from Northern Jersey, then this company might be perfect because they themselves will deliver in this range ... so you will probably get your things in a timely manner ...

Caution: if doing a cross country move, pack your things extra careful ... more padding, tape, etc. because your stuff will probably get moved from truck to truck ... things will get tossed and moved ... I'm guessing that from the time they loaded my things in Jersey, it got transferred to 2 other trucks before reaching my apt in LA ...

BigLeeCalif

Re: Tonymoving.com

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:08 pm

nano anytime you move interstate, you will be sharing the truck with other shipments, unless you have deep pockets and are willing to pay for exclusive use of the truck,which means you do pay for a minimum weight. Usually shipments of 25,000 lbs plus are the ones that request that service.

So if Tony's took 4 weeks to deliver, it seems like they barely made the 30 days delivery required by regulations.

But, consider yourself very, very fortunate. If you go to saferweb and check, you will see that Tony's is operating illegally. I'm wondering if they haven't been operating illegally since 2007, because for every involuntary revocation, there is a reinstatement. Their operating authority was first granted in 2005, and was revoked in 2007. That authority was not reinstated until December of 2010, and was revoked as of a few days ago. Their insurance coverage was cancelled on Dec 15, 2011.

If you have any friends in the Korean community, you might be doing them a big favor by warning them of this company. This company still has a web site up showing their DOT number. And they still claim to have the permit to do interstate moving.

Authority Type
CONTRACT
1st Serve Date
10/31/2007
2nd Serve Date
10/31/2007
Reason INVOLUNTARY REVOCATION

HOUSEHOLD GOODSCONTRACT CARRIER
Authority Type
REINSTATED 12/07/2010
GRANTED 01/19/2005
Original Action

REVOKED
Disposition Action
12/27/2011

1st Serve Date
11/21/2011
2nd Serve Date
12/27/2011
Reason INVOLUNTARY REVOCATION
Last edited by BigLeeCalif on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:58 am

To nanonano,

You were very lucky that your story turned out as well as it did. These boards and many others are loaded with the horror stories of people who made the lowest price or what they decided was "within their budget" their ultimate deciding factor.

In this world, you cannot buy champagne if you're only willing to pay for beer. You get what you pay for. A reasonable price for a given service does not necessarily have to coincide with what you might be willing to pay for it.

In my opinion, you were extremely lucky and I would not recommend to anyone else seeking advice on this board that they engage an unlicensed mover (whether Korean, American, Russian, Israeli, Greek or whatever) for a cross-country move; no matter what "culture" is involved. Crooks come in all shapes, sizes, colors and "cultures."

Would you have your gall bladder removed by an unlicensed doctor? No? Then stay away from unlicensed movers.

:?

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 am

I wish there was a like button for NYCMover and BigLee posts.

They are absolutely right. You are very lucky. Cheap and best never go together and the NJ market ripe with less than reputable movers. Ethnicity has nothing to do with getting a good move or a bad move, but character certainly matters. They were operating illegally. Had this been a move during the busy season, you might have run into a real problem.
Paige Holden

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Thank you Paige. I try to look at things from both sides, but sometimes the slap in the face of legality is so obvious it makes you wish you were in a regulatory or enforcement position.

Maybe someone should start a common man party, and take over Congress.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Here, here Lee! I second the motion for the common man party! Maybe then something useful will get done there, instead of idiots legislating what kind of light bulb I can buy while 15 million Americans are out of work with no decent prospects.

Paige, I thank you very much. That was a lovely thing to write!

:)

nanonano

Postby nanonano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 am

BigLee,

Hrmm, Tonymoving.com picked up my stuff on Nov 22 ... I guess about a month before their license was revoked again ...

Just curious, any idea why the license was revoked? The best that I can see is that their drivers were exceeding the daily drive limits (fatigue violation).

As I reported, everything went super well except for the long delay in receiving my goods (4 weeks vs original 10 day estimate) ... NYCmover, yes, I understand that I was lucky and yes, until I actually got my goods, I was still worried about the delay and being jacked for more cost in LA ... especially when they (SK Express, Tony's "sister/partner" company on west coast) kept telling me "wait a few days" and then "a few days more" ...

In all fairness to Tony, I just want to reiterate the main points:

GOOD:
- he kept his word on price
- the movers (on both ends) were excellent and efficient

BAD:
- extra long delay on receiving my stuff

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:32 am

Nano, I'm concerned. You've mentioned SK Express on the west coast twice, and it's seeming like they were the ones who did the actual hauling and delivery. I can't find a license for them. Though your move is over, I'm worried that Tony's may still be subcontracting to an unlicensed mover for future customers. Do you by any chance have a phone number for them that I can use to track down their license number to clear the air?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

The closest thing I can see for an SK Express is a company out of Atlanta. I cant find anything for them, and I am on the West Coast.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:15 pm

To nanonano,

You have already been notified that your recent long distance move by Tony's Moving was done illegally, as they had no common, contract or broker authority to do the move.

We are trying to protect other customers and want them to be aware that Tony's Moving engaged in long distance moving while their license was revoked. This is a crime under federal regulations.

This site does not condone people contracting with unlicensed moving companies and the "good" points you mentioned do not overshadow the fact that the company moved you illegally.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 am

Nano said the move was begun while Tony's still had a license; it was revoked the following month. NOW Tony's can't move anyone. However, if they subcontracted to an unlicensed mover, that's just as bad, because nano trusted his/her things to them and they handed the load off to someone who likely has no insurance.

nanonano

Postby nanonano » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Woah, this thread is getting out of control. Thanks for the clarification MM in reply to NYCMover. Saves me a reply to him.

Ok, I found this board and others similar to be helpful because I had a horrid moving experience once. So I wanted to do my fair share in helping others find objective information to assist in their own moves. Hence, my detailed postings.

But this is my last post ... I do have SK's phone number but I will not post. Everything is as I stated. I find NYCMover's last post uncomfortable as he threw out a soapbox slam and a conclusion that is not properly supported by the facts. I view people who speak in this rash manner just as negative as I do the shady movers that trap and extort customers.

Regards ...

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

nano NYC meant no disrespect.

What he means is that we see this happen time and time again. I have been on this site for over 8 yrs, and sometimes shippers think because their move was successful in the end, that sometimes they overlook the illegalities because their shipment made it though. The frustration we feel sometimes if from those that come here and ask all the right questions, and get all the right answers, but still go with the bad company.

Most people that come and complain about a company are usually not the first to complain. And the companies rise, get caught, fold up, and resurrect under another name.

We aren't picking on you. We just want to educate you if a company is operating shady in one area, they are usually in violation in other areas. We want to make sure the next person doesn't fall into the same snare.

It may seem like we do get harsh at time, but we are passionate about what we do. I know I am, or I would not have endured all these years.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:01 pm

What Lee said. Nobody's saying anything against you, so I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

What we do want to make clear to anyone else reading who might think, "Hey, I'm also moving from NJ, maybe I'll hire Tony's", that they should not do so, because though your move turned out well for you, there's no guarantee it would for them.

We work hard to protect consumers from movers not operating properly for one reason or another. Your story is an example of someone who lucked out. Be happy, and move on from this site. Enjoy your new home!

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Thank you BigLeeCalif and MusicMom.

It is unfortunate that what I said was misinterpreted to be a "soapbox slam" and "a conclusion that is not properly supported by the facts." Point in fact was that whether Tony's Moving had interstate authority when they were engaged for this customer's move and it was revoked later on is not particularly relevant. The company brokered the job out to SK Express and Tony's never had broker authority to begin with - so the move was still done illegally and that is a fact.

The reason I said what I did was because I did not want this entire thread to end on a note like "Well, they didn't have a license, but they did a great job anyway" where other consumers might think it's okay to engage this or any other unlicensed mover.

Return to “Open Community”