New member of the moving industry, lots to LEARN

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BigLeeCalif

Re: New member, in the moving industry, lots to discuss

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 am

Sean, maybe you should answer this question.

How long have you been involved in the moving business?

Your thread title in itself sort of turns some of us off.

How can someone new in the moving industry have lots to discuss. Perhaps it should have been appropriately titled lots to learn.

The resentment you incur here is not because people have anything against you personally, but the fact that you could be setter served by observing and learning from the pros here.

If we were to add all the years of experience with the pros on this site, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if it was several hundred years of experience. I am one of the senior members of the moving pros here, in that I have been on this site going into my 9th year. Even at that, I can be considered a newbie in the moving business as compared to some of the others here, and I am in my 22nd year.

The point is that many of the people on this site have been in this business most of their adult lives. I am the exception to that rule, having come to moving industry from package freight. There are company owners, sales people, drivers, and in my case, military shipping expertise.

Brokers have never been popular here, and a lot of the people that have been ripped off have been the victim of unscrupulous brokers, who always like to pass the buck to the hauler, and rarely even acknowledge any liability in the scam.

If you have something to contribute, then please do so. You might start by explaining how the brokerage actually works at your particular company, since you know it from the inside.

I don't know about others, but once I was downsized, and worked very briefly for a telemarketing firm selling vacation condos. It took me all of 3 days to notice and identify unethical practices, and I was out of there so fast I didn't even bother to collect my pay. Maybe I am different, but I have always believed in business ethics, and I would not work for an unethical or illegal business.

Everyone has their own choices of what type of business they choose to work for. Some want "just a job", while others want a career. I would venture to say that everyone of the pros on this site are very good at what they do, and do it because it is what they have chosen [or in some cases have been born into], and they take pride in it.

Archie White, for instance, has his reputation riding on his company, A.C. White, because his forefathers started the company when most founders had their name on the product, and stood behind the quality of that name. John and Bill Adams take great pride in working for Joyce Van Lines. The drivers that comment here have seen it all. They know how it is for some companies to undercut on shipments, and expect the drivers to work miracles at no additional compensation.

Most successful moving companies have visions - a mission statement, and the employees are taught the value of customer service in relation to repeat business.

My recommendation is to observe and learn, and if you have something pertinent to a particular thread, then share your knowledge.

Until then, I would not expect much sympathy for the business you have been associated with.

Suddath is an excellent company, and if you are accepted there, at least we know you will be with one of the best. But a word of caution - don't go there assuming you will fit right in. You'll be the new kid on the block, and you will be expected to adapt to their system without comment, or you will not last.

You seem to be fairly young, so learn, learn, learn. Never assume you know it all, because most of us hate a "Mr. Know It All" [unless you have a wayback machine] (the old timers who grew up with Rocky & Bullwinkle will get that one.)
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

whodat1b

Postby whodat1b » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:07 am

MusicMom wrote:The turnover rate in brokers is extremely high because people desperate for work take the job with the promise for high pay, but once they find out what's really going on they quit. Why does taking the job in the first place make them evil?

As someone said in an earlier post. When you first start to work there be it a brokage or moving company. You are just unaware of the crap that you have gotten yourself into. So the working there doesn't make them a d'bag it is the continuing to work there. That gives them that title.

What's up with Ya - MM?
Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Others Do Unto You!

whodat1b

Postby whodat1b » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:16 am

newbie2727 wrote:I actually used to refer people to this site but stopped a long time ago and this thread reinforces my decision. I guess by this rational all Enron employees are dbags. Dont worry Miami Sean your not a dbag for trying to make a living and moving on but there sure are some dbags on this site.

:shock: Newbie2727 hit me up.
Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Others Do Unto You!

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:27 am

Having been a way from this site for a while (not intentional, just a lot on my plate lately), I was kind of happy to see this thread. I'm really tired of brokers on other social networks that blatantly lie to would-be customers. MM, Big Lee, Archie and the like - you are, indeed, a refreshing bunch.

Great post BigLee.

Sean, I'm relatively new to the business although I grew up around it my whole life. I credit the pros on this board for helping me come up to speed on industry issues rather quickly. It's been just under two years and, even though I'm still learning, I can hold my own. You would be best served to read through threads from BigLee, Archie, NYCMover, the Adams' and many, many more that I know I am forgetting (sorry!).
Paige Holden

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:29 am

How could I forget MovingHelper! Ack! Him too...
Paige Holden

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:29 am

I was wondering why you have been quiet lately. Welcome back even if for a short time.
Last edited by Movinghelper on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks MovingHelper!
Paige Holden

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Thank you for the kind words Paige.

When I first arrived at movingscam, basically the attitude of the moderators here was that ALL movers were crooks.

The respect that the pros get from this site was earned, and not just given. When the moderators, and the general public that began to ask for informational help, realized that there was some basis for listening and absorbing our knowledge, a gradual softening of the hard stance came about.

There are several van lines represented here, and as I see it, we all get along rather well. The advantage that customers have is that we have those who can answer questions about estimates, about loading and packing, about shuttling, and about access in the large cities for trucks.

I say Thank You Movingscam for making this a partnership, rather than the us vs them as in the beginning.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm with you BigLee. I see more to gain by working together than tearing each other down. After all, I think we can all agree that it's the guys posing as movers that we'd like to see go away. The fewer of those guys there are, the better the industry and consumers will be. The reputation you and the others who have contributed here is well deserved.

Jeff

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks Jeff.

We all appreciate this site for what it has become... a place for people to come and get information before they move. In the past it was them coming here to vent after the move.

While that still happens, it is a great deal less than at one time.

We still need to maintain a watchful eye, because crooks are little weeds. You can get rid of them for a season, but dang they always come back. Maybe on the other patch of lawn, but same old weeds.

Miami Sean

Re: New member of the moving industry, lots to LEARN

Postby Miami Sean » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

I changed the thread title to be more reflective and I once again want to apologize if I ruffled feathers.

Thanks,
MS

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 am

I'm sorry. When your a KC Chiefs fan like me, it's hard to be positive sometimes :hmm:

I'm sorry I attacked you personally, but now you kinow the scam you are making your living from, I really hope you're able quit, and that someone gives you a chance at a real moving company.

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Just seeing this for some reason. I think my alerts may be off.

BigLee - I agree! I think the working partnership between movers and the site has a ton of value.

Movinghelper - Thanks!

Happy Holidays everyone :-)
Paige Holden

Return to “Open Community”