Cheap Boxes?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mck3a

Cheap Boxes?

Postby mck3a » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:35 pm

I've seen some people talk about moving boxes in some other threads... but typing in "boxes" into the search gives me more hits than I know what to do with. So I figured I'd throw out a posting of its own...

What are the cheapest, best options for moving supplies, especially boxes? Beyond going to the grocery store, a Home Depot, or Borders, etc... what have people experienced with the various internet box places? U-haul, budget, penske, etc? Any other ideas?

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Cheap Boxes?

Postby twalker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:01 pm

Hi mck3a,

You might try this post (and the one after it) by Michael and MusicMom:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6154#16154

That should give you some good ideas.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

blue

Postby blue » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:05 pm

Unless you can find someone who recently moved that would be willing to give you boxes, be prepared to spend some money. Cardboard boxes and packing materials are not cheap, and suppliers indicate prices are rising. If you choose to use the "giveaways" from grocery stores/liquor stores, make certain they have tops or lids. Depending on how your shipping them, open boxes are an invitation for trouble. It sounds like you're on the right track though; U-Haul (while I wouldn't recommend their trucks) does have adequate, fairly priced materials. I think you would probably pay a premium buying the same supplies from Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Hope this helps.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:10 pm

adamschneider wrote:Another tip is to look in the good ol' yellow pages under Moving Supplies and see if there are any places in your area that sell used/overstock boxes. We haven't paid more than $1.50 each for our boxes, and most of them are quite sturdy. We even got some nice small ones for $0.25 each. We were also able to get some used furniture pads (who cares if they're used?!) for less than half the retail price.

Adam

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1853

mck3a

Postby mck3a » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. Right now, I think my plan is to buy a small "Bundle" of boxes from one of the online box stores and then go to Borders, etc to get extra boxes as needed. I ordered a bundle from one of these online places last time I moved and it was a lot cheaper than U-haul and much less hassle than going to various stores to pick up boxes. Plus, for the most part, it had the exact right stuff that I needed (Standing wardrobe boxes, lots of book boxes, etc).

However, I can't for the life of me remember which site I used last time. Does anyone have any feedback on which sites to AVOID? Also, has anyone discovered a really cheap site for this stuff?

I have to believe that there's a bargain basement site out there somewhere...

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:47 pm

Well, you could buy a bundle of boxes and help support this web site by buying your boxes HERE. :wink:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:34 pm

Tim - for fun ( you know me ! ) I checked it out - pricing looks very competetive. The only thing I would say is that it's a great place to START. My guess is that they err on the light side for bundles - but as this customer says - they're going to start there and then get extras from other places. That's a PERFECT plan!

mck3a

Postby mck3a » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:57 pm

Looks pretty comparable to what I was looking at at another site. Still need to do some research, to be on the safe side... but I've gotten enough value out of this site to more than justify paying a little more if it came to that.

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:57 pm

I used Box City here in L.A., and found their pricing very competitive, and no need to buy so many in a bundle. They have a website and an online store as well. www.boxcity.com

They sell all the specialty boxes, plus any of the supplies you would need such as mattress bags, stretch wrap, foam, etc. If you have space concerns, having boxes of uniform size makes a huge difference in packing. Much easier to uniformly stack a small space and to stack like sized boxes without worrying about tops getting crushed in.

Return to “Open Community”