**2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!! OMG

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BillAdams

Re: **2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!! OMG

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 am

So what can can consumers learn here?
1. Book early and sign your Order for Service. Why not? You can always cancel at any time with no penalty if you need to.
2. If your booking agent informs you that there are no available long haul drivers, and they will pick you up and hold your goods in their warehouse until they can find one, say okay. Then go shopping for another carrier who can commit to your dates before canceling the first mover.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Mach10

Postby Mach10 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 am

BillAdams wrote:So what can can consumers learn here?
1. Book early and sign your Order for Service. Why not? You can always cancel at any time with no penalty if you need to.
2. If your booking agent informs you that there are no available long haul drivers, and they will pick you up and hold your goods in their warehouse until they can find one, say okay. Then go shopping for another carrier who can commit to your dates before canceling the first mover.

Or at least find another carrier who claims (lies) that they can commit to a direct pick up on your dates only to have it picked up and taken to the warehouse, thus rewarding the liar.

Mach10

Postby Mach10 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

...and screwing over the one that was at least honest and up front with you.

murphy

Postby murphy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm

I believe Mach10 has found a Catch-22. :P

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 pm

that a big 10-4 Murph.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 pm

I think a good tip to put on here is be more flexable with your load dates. Allot of times when I pick up a shipment that has been auxed serviced (brought to the warehouse). It was done less then a week before. Meaning if the shipper (you) could have waited anouther week I could have come and done a direct pickup.

Its just vanlines generaly dont give this option becouse they dont want to upset the customer. We would acualy love to do it directly, the xtra costs in having to do an APU are not fun. Plus if an agent is having to do an APU, they dont have that truck and crew to go out and do a real job. But they go out and make that pickup, so they can attempt to keep the schedule that they gave the customer. Thus keeping them happy.

I have even been in situations where I would have shown up the next day. And you talk to the move cordinator for the job to see if the shipper would be willing to wait an xtra day. But generly the answer is a no. Again we dont want to ask the shipper stuff like that, becouse that puts doubt in the shippers head, And its better to make the move look like its going perfectly.
Ruges

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Ruges, That's great advice. Most people have the capacity to understand that concept and would be willing to be flexible in order to increase their chances of a direct load. Some of my seasoned customers actually ask me about it up front. 99 out of 100, however, will want that guaranteed load date, typically the day before they close on the home they're selling.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

promover2

Re: 2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!!! OMG

Postby promover2 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:57 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:I have to disagree on the well paying part Diane.

I hear drivers all day long saying that they would rather have 5 -6 small shipments than one large one, because it takes up more than half of the van, and the linehaul may look good on paper, but in reality it doesn't go into their pocket as it's written on paper.

What most of them forget is you can load 20,000 lbs and maybe one more small shipment and be empty within a week. If you load 5-6 shipments, drive for 1 or 2 days, unload for another 5-6 days you're at 2 weeks.

Return to “Open Community”