**2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!! OMG

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Momdog99

**2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!! OMG

Postby Momdog99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Just want everyone to beware of Atlas Van Lines and Deerfield Moving and Storage out of Wheeling, IL. I called Deerfield this morning to find out what time the truck WAS coming on Wednesday and was informed by Larry that "there is no truck for us". I said that I didn't understand, we had a contract, I was informed last week that we were #1 on the schedule for Wednesday, my sales guy was dropping off more boxes this morning, etc. He just says very nonchalant and flippantly that Atlas has no one to move our stuff to Georgia. He doesn't go into any explanations of why and doesn't offer me other options. I say "why are you informing me of the NOW?!" He says, well I called you on Friday and you even said you got my message, so now he placing the blame on me!! He called me at 8:00 pm on a Friday night and left a message to just call him; no urgency, no "this is important"! So I waited for Monday morning to call him back. What a total jag with no interpersonal skills whatsoever. My sales guy called back and said that this has not seen this situation in his entire 30 year career....

BUT the good news is that we were able to get another truck through a friend's friend for Friday. He owns the company. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that truck shows up!

Again, BEWARE OF ATLAS AND DEERFIELD MOVING AND STORAGE!

rydog444

Re: 2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!!! OMG

Postby rydog444 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 pm

What company is it that is now scheduled?

I dont know what happened in your case but this is very unusual to hear about atlas. You have a large job, did you talk to anyone at corporate?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:15 pm

mind posting what your estimated linehual was? Seeing allot of highly discounted jobs this summer when capacity is peeked out. Probly having a hell of a time finding drivers to cover these jobs. I think the worst part about this situation is even thow the booker booked such a horrible job, They would not even APU the job to make sure it was covered.
Ruges

Momdog99

Postby Momdog99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 pm

The cost was going to be $8,095.04. I did not speak to corporate (yet). I feel that they couldn't give a rat's ass. We are just ONE family (this was not a corporate move). Before I booked with them, I expressed my concern about being screwed over because we've all heard the stories, and the sales guy said that they can't risk screwing up cuz they do so many big corporate moves, blah blah blah. But when things settle down, I will definitely contact corporate and/or the owner of Deerfield Moving.

We are now booked with Bekins. Turns out that the owner of the company/trucks lives close by to us and we have a mutual friend. His driver is coming over tomorrow to check things out, so I feel good that they will actually show up on Friday!

Thanks for your replies! I will never forget this day and the stress I felt!!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Be sure to purchase valuation coverage. Posts here indicate that some people have had trouble collecting from Bekins if there is damage to items. However, if this "friend of a friend" actually owns the truck and employs the driver, that is a very good sign that it will be a good move.

I'm glad that you were able to salvage this move. It certainly doesn't speak well for Atlas that this happened. It was most likely not the agent's (Deerfield's) fault. Atlas just couldn't find a driver for some reason.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Momdog99

Postby Momdog99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks, Diane. I do not blame my SALES agent, but I do put a lot of blame on Deerfield/the agent, and maybe I'm wrong...but I think they dropped the ball by not following up enough with Atlas or whatever he needed to do to honor our contract - I know nothing about the business, so I have to put a lot of blame on them! Also, the way the guy at Deerfield handled it, made it SO much worse.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 pm

I agree that the guy at Deerfield sounds like he handled this badly, but in reality the agent (Deerfield) can't control what the van line dispatcher does, and the dispatcher is at the mercy of drivers who can refuse the load for some reason. However, it seems strange that any driver would refuse this basically well-paid hauling job. At least, I believe it to be well paid for moving 20,000 pounds from IL to GA. The fact that the Bekins agent was so willing to take the load tends to support this. Others more knowledgeable than I will probably chime in here.

weem

Postby weem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:29 pm

The booking (sales) agent is supposed to do an agent pickup at no additional cost to the customer------this is rule number one----to just say sorry is almost as bad as scamming-----it's reprehensible. If there is not more to this story------------they deserted this customer.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:38 am

I have to disagree on the well paying part Diane.

The shipper said the cost was 8k. Depending on the services rendered, the linehaul portion could be half of that. And depending on what the driver's percentage is, he could be only making around 3 - 4k after escrows, packing reductions, etc.

I hear drivers all day long saying that they would rather have 5 -6 small shipments than one large one, because it takes up more than half of the van, and the linehaul may look good on paper, but in reality it doesn't go into their pocket as it's written on paper.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 am

Where are you moving from and to? I agree with Big Lee $ 8K is cheap to move 20K lbs. any distance.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 am

At least, I believe it to be well paid for moving 20,000 pounds from IL to GA. The fact that the Bekins agent was so willing to take the load tends to support this. Others more knowledgeable than I will probably chime in here.

I think Big Lee got it right. 20,000lbs priced right would be a well paying job. If drivers passed on 20,000lbs, it was likely not priced right.
When the Bekins company took the job, they likely priced it right.

It also looks like this move was to be loaded in the middle of the month - not the end - which would even further indicate that it was priced too low, as loads are not normally missed at that time.

Of course we could be wrong on these assumptions, but from what I've read, I'd say not.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Momdog99

Postby Momdog99 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 am

weem wrote:The booking (sales) agent is supposed to do an agent pickup at no additional cost to the customer------this is rule number one----to just say sorry is almost as bad as scamming-----it's reprehensible. If there is not more to this story------------they deserted this customer.

I agree that this is almost as bad as scamming! And there is NOT more to the story!

I received 3 quotes for the move, which is a long distance move, 750 miles: One from United, $8,797 for 18,000 pounds; one from National, $7,379 for 17,900 pounds; and from Atlas for $8,100 for 19,999 pounds. So all the quotes were in the same ball park, but Atlas was giving me all the boxes and paper and supplies for free (and dropping them off at my house, which was nice), so we went with them.

Bekins was here this morning walking through the house to see what we all have. They are charging us exactly was Atlas was going to charge, $8,100.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 am

Momdog, did Deerfield even mention the possibility that they could pick up your shipment and store it in their warehouse until it could be picked up by another driver? This is sounding more peculiar by the minute . . . apparently the load WAS appropriately priced, so the sales rep did his job correctly and it's hard to see why an Atlas driver would have refused it. But once this happened, as weem said, Deerfield should have stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility for picking it up at least.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Momdog99

Re: **2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!!! OM

Postby Momdog99 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am

Diane, I know! Deerfield offered no solutions, nothing! And when my sales guy called back yesterday, he said what you said, that Larry should have at least offered to store the stuff at their warehouse. All I got was "there's no truck and I don't know what to tell you." I was beside myself. For the first time ever in my life, I dropped an F-bomb on someone other than my husband (lol!) cuz I said why didn't you tell me this 2 F*!#ing months ago!! Then he said "I don't need to take this" and then I hung up on him (and cried like I have never before!)

Ruges

Re: **2 Days Before Scheduled Move of 20,000 lbs Atlas cancels on us!!!! OM

Postby Ruges » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am

Look at your estimates, Whats the acual transportation price?
Ruges

Return to “Open Community”