New York (Manhattan) to Jersey City (Exchange Place) move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
vagabond123

Re: New York (Manhattan) to Jersey City (Exchange Place) move

Postby vagabond123 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Okay, an update. Took me a while but I only recently got internet in my new place.

The day I moved was the hurricane Irene day. The piano moving company called me a day before saying that they can only do it in the morning and after that I got a call saying they won't be able to do it due to extreme weather conditions. Annoying but they could have made it easily in the morning.

I got a call from Shea Moving asking me if it is possible to have the move very early in the morning. I replied that I cannot guarantee that the freight elevator will be open. After some thinking, I called the doorman I know and asked him. He said that he will be able to activate the freight elevator very early in the morning (after 7am). I called and left a message and Brian gave me a call later on. I wasn't really afraid of the storm as originally they were supposed to come at 9:30 am and the storm wasn't supposed to hit until late in the evening.

Anyways........ I figured why not. If they can do it and actually prefer early, I don't mind getting up earlier in the morning. Bought a few cold drinks and junk food for the moving crew. So they came around 7:30. Everything on my part was fully packed. There were 4 guys in total. They wrapped the furniture and boxed some glass panes of a coffee table. Overall it took about two hours, I believe. I asked the guy once to be quiet and then I had to ask Brian to ask them to be quite. They weren't super noisy, just noisy for 7:30 am on Saturday and the doorman was actually doing me/us a favor by allowing the moving so early in the morning.

Sparked a conversation with Brian about politics, music, and what not. Very friendly and intelligent guy.

Anyways........ I got to my place in Jersey City and had to wait for a bit for the truck to arrive. The truck it too big so he can't take it on the Holland Tunnel and had to take Lincoln.

They unpacked and it took about two hours. It started raining for 45 minutes and I asked Brian to cover boxes with some blanket/plastic so it wouldn't get wet. Overall nothing was broken and I checked all items with a list I made earlier - everything arrived (though one small box hid somewhere but I eventually found it). Only damage was to the desk - the wood "exploded" from within. I didn't really mind. They were able to put a nice scratch in the hardwood floor when moving the sofa on its leg. Annoying and noticeable but I hope that if the landlord ever pays me a visit he won't give me grief.

The whole thing took about 5 hours. I ended up paying $1,015 (binding was $1,060). This included 0.75 hour of getting to origin and coming back from destination.

At the end, Brian pulled the paperwork and asked for a tip stating that it is not mandatory. They are all good guys and he is a very nice person but I chose not to tip. He was taken aback (and perhaps insulted). I didn't mean anything and perhaps it came out wrong from my mouth. I quickly explained that I had problems with my last two moves and the last one was a horrible experience (I wrote about it in a different thread) and due to that I decided that I can no longer tip (I swore there was never going to be a third time). He acted professionally and said that I'm not obligated and that is my right. We shook hands and he left.

Bottom line - excellent movers. Brian is super friendly and Julie/Ann from the office are friendly and helpful too. Binding agreement is very nice to have to. They weren't always available in the office but they always returned my calls. I paid by check.

I would highly recommend using them. Perhaps I should have looked more at the time and perhaps saved me around $140 or so for the .075 ride back and forth.

Piano movers ended up coming a week later. Two guys and a small truck (not even sure if it is technically a truck). The older guys seemed very experienced. In no time they disassembled the piano legs and had it moved outside the apartment. Same thing about moving it to the apartment at destination. I called a few piano movers and got quotes from anywhere from $350 - $640 and 2-3 guys for the job.
This one, Pianoland, was actually $300 but had to pay $100 for certificate of insurance (other companies charge $25-$50).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 am

I know it's your money and your choice, but it seems a bit harsh to penalize guys that you keep praising because of some past guys who screwed you over.

Otherwise, I'm glad it all worked out. Was the desk particleboard?

aubie2

Postby aubie2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 am

If I'm asked to tip, I don't. To me that is unprofessional. Glad you had a fairly uneventful move.

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:02 am

I have to agree with MusicMom though - seems unfair to me. But, I'm glad your move went well!
Paige Holden

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 am

first, let me say that asking for a tip is absolutely insane. I can't believe that they did that.

If you would have said that you didn't want to tip or hadn't considered it previously or couldn't afford it, I would be fine with that. But saying that you didn't tip because of a previous bad move is silly. That's like saying that you went to TGIFridays and had a horrible server/waitress, then you went to Ruth's Chris, you wouldn't tip the server there because of your experience with TGIFriday's.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:09 am

Glad your move went well.
As far as the tip, I would have told them no since he asked for it. If he had not asked for one I would have given one. I would not have mentioned the reason for the bad past moves. But at least you had drinks and munchies to start their morning.

Did you tip the Piano Movers?

Did the Piano Movers ask for a tip?
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm

It took a while, but now I've heard it all.

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 pm

A few answers to the above:
* Yes, it is a particle board.
* Yes, he did ask for tip. He said something about "...believe it or not but that is how these guys pay their bill". I agree, asking for tip is unprofessional.
* I initially said "no, I'm sorry". I only went on starting to explain after I saw his expression. I told him that I'm happy with the move and will put a good review. However, I told him that it is not my job to supplement other people income and that after bad experiences with moves before, I decided that I do not tip anymore.
* I didn't mean to be harsh, but it may have came up that way.
* Piano movers didn't even ask for tip or gave any hints. This is the first time I use professional piano movers. I don't think they expect tips. If the move would have been extremely difficult (moving many flight of stairs) I might have considered it even though I would definitely pay for it upfront for the total price. The move was super easy on their part. Elevator was big enough to fit the piano at both origin and destination and they only had 3 stairs they slid the piano on a board in front of the building.

As far as tipping goes, that merits its own discussion thread. Suffice to say that I think that tipping should be only for above and beyond service (like a military medal). You negotiate a price and that is that. If moving companies think their employees are underpaid, they should charge more and not delegate that responsibility to the customer or try to make him feel bad about not tipping.

Bottom line, I'm glad it was an uneventful move.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:31 pm

There is already a thread for tipping on these boards.

Wikpedia:
A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. Such payments and their size are a matter of social custom. Tipping varies among cultures and by service industry. Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served, in some circumstances failing to give an adequate tip when one is expected is a serious faux pas, and may be considered very miserly, a violation of etiquette, or unethical.

Oxford Dictionary
In the English language, tip may refer to:

(Worldwide): a gratuity (a voluntary additional payment made for services rendered)

Wikpedia
In countries where tipping is the norm, such as the United States, some employers pay workers with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. The practice of tipping is controversial, with numerous criticisms. Some have criticized the inherent "social awkwardness" in transactions that involve tipping, the inconsistency of tipping for some services but not similar ones, and the irrationality of basing tips on price, rather than the amount and quality of service

As I was in a restaurant in Florida and was told there was an 18% gratuity on the bill since we were with a large group. I told the waitress when she told me this, that she could either add the 18% and that is what she would get or she could take her chances that she delivered exceptional service and would be rewarded justly. She took her chances and she was very happy.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:53 am

I can only speak for myself, but I also believe many other feel this way, I have absolutely NO problem with you not tipping. I also have a HUGE problem with him asking for a tip.

The only problem I had was your reasoning for not tipping, and that you would be willing to tip had you not had a previous bad move. It doesn't seem logical to me. It would make me MORE prone to tip for a good move. I would want to reward those who do it well, it is encouraging when you receive a tip that your hard work was appreciated.

That being said, I am glad that you did not tip since he asked for a tip, that is very cheesy.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

chrisatlas

Postby chrisatlas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:09 am

I know when my guys are on a job and they get a tip they are super excited and appreciate it. Tips are not expected as they get paid to do what they do for a living- its just a nice way for the client to give an extra thanks to the guys for doing a great job. As for myself.. I have done many deliveries over the years and I never accept them unless my guys are with me and then I still never take it but give it to the guys.
My tip is that they did a great job for the client and are told we would recommend you to everyone.

rydog444 wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I also believe many other feel this way, I have absolutely NO problem with you not tipping. I also have a HUGE problem with him asking for a tip.

The only problem I had was your reasoning for not tipping, and that you would be willing to tip had you not had a previous bad move. It doesn't seem logical to me. It would make me MORE prone to tip for a good move. I would want to reward those who do it well, it is encouraging when you receive a tip that your hard work was appreciated.

That being said, I am glad that you did not tip since he asked for a tip, that is very cheesy.

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:40 am

rydog444 wrote:first, let me say that asking for a tip is absolutely insane. I can't believe that they did that.

If you would have said that you didn't want to tip or hadn't considered it previously or couldn't afford it, I would be fine with that. But saying that you didn't tip because of a previous bad move is silly. That's like saying that you went to TGIFridays and had a horrible server/waitress, then you went to Ruth's Chris, you wouldn't tip the server there because of your experience with TGIFriday's.

Well said, rydog. I completely agree with you. Asking for a tip is tacky and would turn me off too. BUT, the reasoning behind not tipping in this case is unfair.

Next time, just say: "I don't usually tip for these types of services and it makes me uncomfortable that you asked for one. Sorry." Straight up and to the point. Then the driver knows what he did wrong and will adjust accordingly for the next customer. Essentially, it empowers the driver by giving him the ability to change things for the better.

But to say: "I'm not tipping you because I had a bad move with a completely different mover in the past," is either a cop-out from addressing the real issue (the request for the tip) or just a bad tipping philosophy. How dis-empowering for the driver and his crew - they executed a good move (despite some serious weather barreling towards the area) and, yet, they were penalized for someone else's error.

The error they committed on their own (asking for a tip) was never addressed, so no lesson was learned and no changes can be made. I think that's unfortunate and I feel bad for the crew. Just my humble opinion. :-)
Paige Holden

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:58 pm

You got some points there. Though let me just put it that this was NOT a hard move. Weather conditions aside for 45 rains were fine. In fact, if they didn't come super early, I would be capped at 1,060 and it would have taken more time for him.

They did the job they were meant to. Not bad and not good - just what should be with every easy move.

As to past experience, let me elaborate. I once had a move with an upright piano. The movers (regular movers) moved it and I then discovered (after they left), that one of the pedal was severely bent. When I called them, they ignored me and didn't really reply my emails too. Very luckily for me, the piano model was a newer one with each pedal a separate piece and nothing was bent inside. The piano tuner took the pedal, straightened it at home (or wherever), and made a special trip the following day. He didn't want to charge me anything and he didn't want to take my money. So I got lucky there but this could easily have been a $80-$100.

My recent long distance moving. I was at the apartment at 2:30 pm and the movers arrived at 8pm. After I signed all the paperwork, I got a another bill for about $760 or so. Over the next course of 4-6 months, I spent 8-10 hours on the phone chasing the moving company, talking to credit card company to dispute the transaction (and handling with disconnects and chasing supervisors), faxing, emailing, etc. The moving company provided "proof" by sending the paper I signed MODIFIED to authorize overtime, additional 1,000 lbs of weight and the movers got there apparently at 4pm according to the paper.

I felt STUPID for ever tipping and said to myself there is simply never going to be a third time of anything like that. I ended up having the moving company stop charging me but they told me that they cannot tell me what will occur on their investigation (if they even did so) and no compensation for my time or any apology was offered. Given that experience and my waste of time, I think it is extremely logical not to pay above services rendered (unless there are extraordinary circumstances) and risk feeling stupid and wasting my time if something ever happens again.

As far as having a custom that the patron supplements a worker's income, in my opinion it is the employer delegating responsibility to the client. Restaurants and other businesses can adopt a business model of charging more and not having gratuity - just like a commission of a sales person in a department store. I don't know if there are movers unions, but if movers are considered to be underpaid, they should band together and charge more. I know there are plenty of other jobs which are hard and nobody ever thinks about tipping. Though I should definitely have commented that this is not professional to ask for a tip.

P.S.
There is also the custom of some movers that after the move they sort of waiting together and eying you when you conclude the paperwork in order to make you feel uncomfortable, in my opinion.

Anyways.........
Thanks for feedback, I hope it'll help others, and god bless........

Return to “Open Community”