New York (Manhattan) to Jersey City (Exchange Place) move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NYCMover

Re: New York (Manhattan) to Jersey City (Exchange Place) move

Postby NYCMover » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Any company with a NYS DOT # can legally move you from downtown Manhattan to Jersey City by the hour. Click the SuperList button at the top of the page and look for companies with good reviews in Manhattan, any of the other boroughs or NJ-based companies that hold NYS authority.

Good luck with your move. :)

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:35 am

Have a look at the Superlist for New York, and call a few of the preferred movers to get phone estimates to start, then follow up with in-home estimates with the ones you like for greater accuracy.

Vagabond123,
Have you made any calls yet? Please let us know how that went.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:05 pm

BillAdams wrote:
Have a look at the Superlist for New York, and call a few of the preferred movers to get phone estimates to start, then follow up with in-home estimates with the ones you like for greater accuracy.

Vagabond123,
Have you made any calls yet? Please let us know how that went.

Yes. All Star said it'll be $145 per hour for 3 men and a truck. They estimated the move to take 3 hours or so (maybe they said 4?).

I spoke with Anna from Shea Moving and communicated by email with Julie. I sent a picture of stuff to move and the description plus the amount of boxes and parking/distance status. They said $145/hour for 3 men and a truck plus some time to get to the job site and from the destination. She said they don't do less than $588 (4 hours) and capped me at $1,060 or so.
Seems like I'll be going with Shea if all goes well.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm

vagabond123 wrote:
BigLeeCalif wrote:You're in an area not mover friendly. You said you already talked to Allstar. Perhaps try Dahill.

Dahill is a big no no for me. I had a prior long distance moving experience with them - VERY bad. They were late by 6 hours and forged initials and changed the form AFTER I signed it, stating I authorize over payment and other stuff. They submitted that to the credit card company as "proof" after I disputed the transaction. It took a long back and forth (over a period of six months or so) until they finally cancelled that and I never got any apology.

Hi - I would be interested in whether Dahill itself was responsible for the forgery, etc. or whether it was the van line (Mayflower) driver who did it. Please advise.

Regarding finding a mover, four companies endorsed by this website operate in the area: All Star, Shea, Moovers Inc., and Joyce. I would call all of them to see which fits you best.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 am

Diane wrote:
vagabond123 wrote:
BigLeeCalif wrote:You're in an area not mover friendly. You said you already talked to Allstar. Perhaps try Dahill.

Dahill is a big no no for me. I had a prior long distance moving experience with them - VERY bad. They were late by 6 hours and forged initials and changed the form AFTER I signed it, stating I authorize over payment and other stuff. They submitted that to the credit card company as "proof" after I disputed the transaction. It took a long back and forth (over a period of six months or so) until they finally cancelled that and I never got any apology.

Hi - I would be interested in whether Dahill itself was responsible for the forgery, etc. or whether it was the van line (Mayflower) driver who did it. Please advise.

Regarding finding a mover, four companies endorsed by this website operate in the area: All Star, Shea, Moovers Inc., and Joyce. I would call all of them to see which fits you best.

I'm going with Shea - spoke on the phone and exchanged a few emails. I guess I should have made some more calls but they sound nice and have good reviews. Though something I should check out is that they charge 0.25 hours for getting to origin and 0.5 hours for getting back from destination. Is this a standard thing here in NY?

As for Dahill, I'm not entirely sure. It was the Dahill driver that I signed the form for. I don't know where it went from there. But after disputing with the credit card company many times, they sent me the "proof" from the movers. In it stated that they arrived at 4pm, initials next to OT (over time), and total weight of 4,000 lbs. That had my signature of course. However, in the form I signed, it was around 3,000 lbs (don't quite remember), there was no arrival time (I waited since 2:30 pm and they arrived at 8pm), and definitely I didn't authorize any OT.

P.S.
Never done it before because I always had a car. But is it possible/common-practice to get a ride with the movers to the destination?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:37 am

vagabond123 wrote: Though something I should check out is that they charge 0.25 hours for getting to origin and 0.5 hours for getting back from destination. Is this a standard thing here in NY?
I don't know whether that particular formula is standard but it's OK.

Never done it before because I always had a car. But is it possible/common-practice to get a ride with the movers to the destination?

They're not supposed to let you do it but it wouldn't hurt to ask. You might have to pretend to be one of the helpers.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Please note:

1) 3/4 hour total travel time for a Queens-based company to move you from downtown NYC to Jersey City, NJ is a bargain. Also, you will need to have $16.00 cash on hand to give the driver at the end of the move to cover the toll back into NYC (they'll probably use the Lincoln Tunnel - 13'0" height clearance is higher than the Holland.)

2) The driver and crew cannot take you along in the moving truck. Shea's insurance has no provision for paid or unpaid passengers and you are not an employee of the company. Make your own preparations for getting to Jersey City in time to meet the truck for the delivery.

Good luck with your move! :)

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 am

NYCMover wrote:Please note: The driver and crew cannot take you along in the moving truck. Shea's insurance has no provision for paid or unpaid passengers and you are not an employee of the company. Make your own preparations for getting to Jersey City in time to meet the truck for the delivery.

Agreed. I wouldn't even ask. It puts them in an awkward position I think. There are numerous ways to get to Jersey City from Manhattan on public transportation. Used to do the commute every day!
Paige Holden

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 pm

PaigeHolden wrote:
NYCMover wrote:Please note: The driver and crew cannot take you along in the moving truck. Shea's insurance has no provision for paid or unpaid passengers and you are not an employee of the company. Make your own preparations for getting to Jersey City in time to meet the truck for the delivery.

Agreed. I wouldn't even ask. It puts them in an awkward position I think. There are numerous ways to get to Jersey City from Manhattan on public transportation. Used to do the commute every day!

Yes, it makes sense. On the map it is a little under 6 miles. I just don't want to take a cab and pay $50 or something ridiculous like that. Taking the Path train and then a cab may just take too much time, especially on the weekend, and I don't want the movers to wait if they get there before I do.

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 am

vagabond123 wrote:
Yes, it makes sense. On the map it is a little under 6 miles. I just don't want to take a cab and pay $50 or something ridiculous like that. Taking the Path train and then a cab may just take too much time, especially on the weekend, and I don't want the movers to wait if they get there before I do.

I'm not sure where in JC you are moving to, but if you want to PM me I can let you know the fastest way to get there. I used to live in the Newport area.
The movers can wait a few minutes for you - it won't be that drastic of a time difference, trust me.
Paige Holden

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:53 am

Whoops! My apologies. I see Exchange Place now. That's really easy. Take the PATH from WTC and you'll be there in 5-10 minutes. You can pick up a schedule.

On the weekends, take the WTC to Newark train and get off at Exchange Place. It's the first stop. Here is the schedule: http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html

Not sure where you live in Manhattan, but it should be a pretty easy, short trip. Even if you can't walk to your place from the PATH stop, it should be close enough that a cab will get you there in no time for abot $5-7.
Paige Holden

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:38 pm

PaigeHolden wrote:Whoops! My apologies. I see Exchange Place now. That's really easy. Take the PATH from WTC and you'll be there in 5-10 minutes. You can pick up a schedule.

On the weekends, take the WTC to Newark train and get off at Exchange Place. It's the first stop. Here is the schedule: http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html

Not sure where you live in Manhattan, but it should be a pretty easy, short trip. Even if you can't walk to your place from the PATH stop, it should be close enough that a cab will get you there in no time for abot $5-7.

only problem it takes me to walk about 10 minutes (at least) to the Path train station and on weekends they leave every 15-20 minutes or so. So it may end up taking me at least 30-40 minutes.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 am

The same rules that prohibit you from going into the working area of a auto shop govern the moving industry. Even the van operators have to fill out ride-along forms for anyone riding in their vehicle.

That driver is an owner-operator and if he allowed someone to ride in his vehicle and they are injured, it's on him. And since movers don't want to be named as co defendants, you won't be allowed to ride in the vehicle, even for local moves.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:34 am

Vagabond - I still think you're going to be alright. Unless you are moving out of Tribeca, it's going to take the truck some time to get to AND through the Holland Tunnel and then to navigate some of the tight JC streets. I can't imagine they would make it much quicker than 30.

You could cut time by grabbing a cab to the WTC. If it's a 10 minute walk, it's a short enough ride to not cost too much money. Also, just explain the situation to your movers. If they get there before you, I'm sure they will be fine to grab a soda and wait a few minutes.

There's also going to be a 10 minute time lag while they secure and close up the truck after your items are out of the apartment. You can get a head start while they do that.
Paige Holden

vagabond123

Postby vagabond123 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 am

PaigeHolden wrote:Vagabond - I still think you're going to be alright. Unless you are moving out of Tribeca, it's going to take the truck some time to get to AND through the Holland Tunnel and then to navigate some of the tight JC streets. I can't imagine they would make it much quicker than 30.

You could cut time by grabbing a cab to the WTC. If it's a 10 minute walk, it's a short enough ride to not cost too much money. Also, just explain the situation to your movers. If they get there before you, I'm sure they will be fine to grab a soda and wait a few minutes.

There's also going to be a 10 minute time lag while they secure and close up the truck after your items are out of the apartment. You can get a head start while they do that.

Aye, sounds right. Will probably do that. :-)

Return to “Open Community”