Small Move from FL to MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RosannaF

Small Move from FL to MA

Postby RosannaF » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 pm

:?: My 83 year old mother-in-law will be moving from FL (Pasco County) here to MA in July. The moving date is not flexible because of her lease, but the move will be fairly small (approximately 2000 lbs). She has a couple of large antique pieces which will require special care, but we will be packing everything else. The move will be from a 4th floor apartment to a single family home. This website has been a great resource; we have researched The Super List and read the posts in this forum. But we still have a few questions before we set up appointments for moving company representatives to meet with Mom, get an inventory and give us quotes.
We started this research well over a month ago. Our in-box and voice mail are full of messages (over 20+ companies), and the majority would give us a low-ball quote, then in some cases tack on hundreds in extra fees (long haul, stairs, etc.). Some have really tested our patience with pressure tactics. There are four companies in her vicinity that we would like to get more information on: Atlantic Relocation Services (Atlas); Florida Van Lines; Summit Van Lines; and Arpin Van Lines. (I could only find posts on two - Atlantic and FL Van Lines.)
I would really appreciate any new information anyone has; also, we are still open to suggestions on companies other than those listed above.
I apologize for the long post as I am new to this type of thing. Thank you!

Movinghelper

Re: Small Move from FL to MA

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Florida Van Lines name is actually the following:
Name : MID-STATE MOVING & STORAGE CO., INC.
USDOT Number : 123595
MC # : 133152

Address : 13755 US HIGHWAY 19 N
CLEARWATER, FL 33764
Mailing Address : Same as above
Telephone : (727) 535-1423
Fax : (727) 535-1212

1 Complaing already this year and for loss and claims

Name : SUMMIT VAN LINES, INC.
USDOT Number : 924735
MC # : 399587

Address : 980 NW 10 AVENUE
FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33311
Mailing Address : Same as above
Telephone : (866) 467-8664
Fax : (954) 449-0737

2 complaints already for this year, involving hostage, shipping documents, estimate fo final charges, loss, claims, and weighing

Arpin, no complaints in 2011 yet.
The difference is over 700 trucks also.
Very reputable company.

Atlas 2 complaints with almost 4000 for fleet size.
you can find out more by searching these companies the http://www.protectyourmove.gov.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Do a search here and on the Internet on "Summit Van Lines" in quotation marks to look for reviews and complaints such as on RipoffReport - always a good idea to do for any moving company.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

movingpro01

Postby movingpro01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 pm

pissedconsumer.com also has some moving company reviews and alerts that might help.

Return to “Open Community”