**Moving soon and would like advise (Connecticut) - Joyce

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Scooter15

**Moving soon and would like advise (Connecticut) - Joyce

Postby Scooter15 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I am moving locally in CT and have gotten a few estimates. I'd like some advise on which one to choose, and worst-case I'll update what my experience was while going through this process. I am including packing in these estimates.

I've gotten 5 calls for estimates so far.
Vito's Express, Inc.: I didn't hear good things on this board, and the fact they were in RI made me not call them back.

Father and Son Moving and Storage
: Gave an estimate over the phone of 1 Truck & 2 Men @ $100.00 per hour, 1 Truck & 3 Men @ $115.00 per hour, 1 Truck & 4 Men @ $150.00 per hour. It's a OK price, but they didn't take the extra step of coming to my house which kind of detracted me.

Astro Moving, Inc: (http://www.astromoving.net/) They came out to the house gave an estimate in the low 2000 range. Wasn't really impressed and I lost the estimate, doh! He did mention he would put a cap of 20% on the estimate, which I later found out was illegal(?) for a local move.

That brings me to my final 2 estimates I still debating. First up...
Braun Moving Inc. (http://www.braunmoving.com/): 1 Truck + 4 Men. Estimated weight of 8200 and 166 items @ $150/hr for a total of $2,300.

Joyce Vanlines: 1 Truck + 4 men, weight of 8300 and 220 items @ $134/hr for a total of $3,000

I'm kind of inclined to go with Braun even though Joyce is highly touted on this site. They expect it to take 7 hours per day instead of Joyce's 9.5 and they also offered 1 month of free storage (around $250).

What do you guys think?

BigLeeCalif

Re: Moving soon and would like advise (Connecticut)

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm curious as to why Joyce came up with 220 items, and Braun only 166 items, but yet Joyce is only 100 lbs over Braun in weight estimated.

I think Braun might be underbidding. It would make sense for Joyce's estimate to be higher, since they obviously are including another 50+ items.

If you received written estimates from both, I'd be comparing the cube sheets to see what Braun missed that Joyce included.

If the piece count is that far apart, I would consider getting another van line agent to give you a written estimate.

Check the superlist on t his site for movers in your state. Never go with a company that wants your business so badly they can't bother to even come do a visual estimate.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Okay, so here's how I would look at it. Joyce has a good reputation. They have hard workers. You are going to pay for actual time, not estimated time. Their hourly rate is lower. Estimated move time and actual move time are sometimes different things. Joyce will likely get it done as fast, if not faster, based on their good reputation. It's a no brainer for me.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

wood5150

Postby wood5150 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 am

I just did the math for (4) men and labor should come out to about 8 hrs also assuming 1 hour for travel time (included in the 8 hrs). With this, I believe it really comes down the packing to be performed. If your estimates are non-binding, you will pay on exact hrs worked and also on the exact packing.

Joyce must have a ton more on the packing side vs. Braun. Joyce also has about 1.5 hrs of wiggle room on labor. I believe Joyce gave you a more complete estimate where Braun's most likely could go higher than estimated. Just on labor math 8 hrs is the norm for 8500 lbs

I tell all my local customers to take all artwork/mirrors/fine china with them to help with the packing costs. Your dishpacks and mirror boxes are the most expensive boxes to pack.

Good luck.

movingpro01

Postby movingpro01 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:15 am

I too would be wary of companies that seem quite a bit lower than other companies. Normally, I would compare them to other similar companies, but I think that the reputation for the one clearly speaks for itself. Again, these are estimates, and the job might take less time, but based on the prices, the wiggle room, and the reputation, it seems like a better idea to go with Joyce.

Scooter15

Postby Scooter15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

The difference is definitely on the number of items 166 to 220 and the 3 extra hours worked. I am still inclined to go with Braun knowing that they are going to go over the estimate, but are providing me with one month of storage free. I am moving some large furniture out of the house myself beforehand and I'm afraid if I do that Joyce will meet their estimate instead instead of beating it (aka Parkinson's Law). In the end I will probably go with Joyce based on their reputation, not having to worry about overages, and to see if they can actually beat their estimate which is a sign of a good company. I'll fill you all in as I get closer.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 am

I am moving some large furniture out of the house myself beforehand and I'm afraid if I do that Joyce will meet their estimate instead instead of beating it

That is an interesting perception, and I actually understand it. Out of full disclosure, I work for Joyce, and I did not do your estimate.

I think your theory is that the movers see a 9 hour estimate, and even though you've reduced the items to be moved, they will make it take 9 hours. I had a customer many years ago ask me to revise the estimate by 3 hours so that the movers would be motivated to work faster to get the move done in the estimated time, knowing full well that he would pay for actual time. Kind of a psychological strategy.

The truth is that movers don't try to beat or exceed the estimate. They load and deliver all that needs to be moved, go home, eat a good meal, get a good night's rest, and do it all over again the next day for someone else.

Regardless of who you choose, and Braun is a very good company, you should have a good experience. Full time professional movers will work at a pace which assures a damage-free move, and they are very much aware that you are paying for time.

Good luck.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

weem

Postby weem » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Do you even need storage?----Do you realize that a second moving fee and separate handling fee are charged for storage-IN ADDITION TO THE ACTUAL STORAGE FEE? And that these fees about double your moving cost even after deducting actual storage fees. ----remember that nothing is "free".

Scooter15

Postby Scooter15 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply Bill. Good to have you on the hook now :)

weem- I do need storage, and I basically have no choice but to pay the extra handling fee as all the companies do it.

Scooter15

Postby Scooter15 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I finally had Joyce pack and move me this weekend. I have to say it was a pleasant experience. The sales guy Jon called me twice during the move to check up on things which was good to see. I had Rob Anderson's crew and it took them two days to pack and load, but because it was an overestimate (since I did a small move beforehand) it only took 5 hours each day and there were only 118 boxes. I don't know how many crates that is, but it the guy said probably not more then 6. At this point it's looking like the final bill should be no more then 75% of the agreed upon estimate.

Scooter15

Postby Scooter15 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

I finally had my stuff delivered after 2 months in storage. I'd like to give my final thoughts in-case anyone else ends up reading this.

After putting my stuff in storage I got an updated bill which is not easy to read (a classic way to sneak in extra cost). I was surprised to see that it only went $200 under the estimate when I was expecting at least $1000. I called Joyce accounting and the person I talked to was helpful and willing to answer all my questions. I come to find out that yes I only used 118 boxes (estimated had 220), but that's not only what they bill on (in addition to labor). It's also billed on something called cartons which was about the same number between the estimate and the the bill they sent. I wasn't able to figure out what a carton was, accounting didn't know either or give me a good answer, but I paid for 27 of them. I also found out that they put my stuff in 8 crates (estimate had 9) after the mover told me it wouldn't be no more then 6. I don't have visibility into the crates so I have to take their word for it.

Move in day was pleasant. Nothing was broken, and they put together the tables and couches that were taken apart. I'd have to say the guys that work there are overly courteous so even though I couldn't get a full grip on the billing aspect, I was comfortable paying some extra for my experience overall.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:08 pm

When you figure that my plumber costs $100.00 per hour for one man, my car mechanic costs $95.00 per hour for 1 man, or my electrician costs $100.00 per hour for 1 man: 1 truck & 4 professional movers for $132.00 an hour is a bargain. Especially when you consider that Joyce van lines has a reputation for delivering a quality product. I would have sent a crew up from Long Island to move you but we charge $400.00 an hour for 4 men and a truck and the travel time alone would have cost you $2,400.00 by itself. Image
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

rydog444

Re: **Moving soon and would like advise (Connecticut) - Joyce

Postby rydog444 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:21 am

I believe the cost for cartons would have been the cost of any boxes of theirs that you used to pack things yourself or that you took yourself. You got charged for the box itself but not for the labor to pack the box.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Return to “Open Community”