*NY -> PA estimate: Holman (yay), Moovers (boo)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wirehead

*NY -> PA estimate: Holman (yay), Moovers (boo)

Postby wirehead » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently planning my move from NYC to Pittsburgh, and wanted to thank you for all the fantastic information on this site. I've never done a full-service move before and everything here has been invaluable! It helped me figure out what to expect, what questions to ask, and what companies I could trust.

Based on personal recommendations from friends-of-friends and the list here, I decided to call up three companies for estimates: Holman, Moovers Inc., and Shea. Shea cannot do a move all the way to Pennsylvania (the wording on their page here is kind of unclear about that, but she told me they aren't licensed to go outside of NY/NJ/CT), so that left Holman and Moovers.

I started by filling out the "contact" forms on their respective websites. I got an email back from Greg at Holman within a few hours. I asked if he could give me a ballpark estimate via e-mail so I could decide if a full-service move was even within my price-range (I had been seeing estimates on this forum of a 1-bedroom move costing $3k or above, which would have been expensive enough that I would have chosen to do ANOTHER self-move). He was very accommodating and provided me a ballpark estimate of $2300-$2500 based on the list I emailed him of my belongings.

Based on that, we set up an appointment for an in-home estimate a few days later. I called Moovers, who had never responded to my website request, to ask them to also come out and do the estimate. They had a window the morning after Greg was going to come out, so we scheduled that.

Greg came out and did his estimate yesterday afternoon. He was five minutes early, and really made me feel comfortable with the whole process, explaining to me about shuttle service, etc. He also was able to work with me on the delivery date -- one of my concerns about a full-service move was that I'm moving to start a new job, so I need my things fairly soon after I myself drive down. I told him I could be very flexible about the load date and was hoping he could provide me a more narrow delivery window (the initial one was 2-6 days).

He discussed this with his delivery manager and it turns out they have a truck going to West Virginia that same weekend, so they can actually guarantee delivery on 1/31 or 2/1, which is fantastic. He provided me a binding estimate of $2088, and this morning he emailed me to say that he talked to his manager and was able to knock another $100 off of that.

So the final estimate is: $1988 for 2447lb., including loading/unloading, transportation costs, shuttle service on the NYC end, and potentially a $115 NYC parking ticket. The shuttle alone is $400+, so I was concerned about what would happen if they also ended up requiring it on the PA side, but Greg reassured me that even if they did, I would not be charged for it. I will be packing my own boxes.

If I come in under the estimated weight, I get a credit back of $18 per hundredweight, though only to a certain extent (I'm not that far above the minimum weight of 2100lb.).

This is right in line with what I was hoping to pay, and despite the fact that I have never done a full-service move before and have a lot to learn, Greg has really gone above and beyond with answering all my questions and helping me understand the process. I'm especially appreciative because I suspect that small moves like mine don't bring in the big bucks for the movers.

Moovers Inc. was supposed to show up to give me a second estimate between 10 and 11 this morning, so I told work I'd be in late. The driver called me just after 10 to let me know he was running late and would be there "closer to 11". 11 came and went; at 11:20 I called him back and he said he would be there "in ten minutes". At that point, I needed to get to work, so I just cancelled the estimate and told him I was not interested in rescheduling.

Frankly, if a company can't even manage to get to my house inside half an hour after a ONE HOUR time window that they themselves picked, I don't feel very confident in trusting them with all of my belongings, and to get them to me when they say they will. That's not the only issue; I understand that things happen. They just seem very busy and haven't had the communication channels open the same way that Greg/Holman has. Despite their good ratings here, they haven't come off as particularly reliable or responsive, so I'm following my gut instinct and taking them off the list.

At this point, I think I will just go with Holman, and I feel pretty good about the situation, albeit a little uncomfortable that I didn't end up getting at least one other estimate for a basis of comparison. However, I'm also moving in less than two weeks, so I want to move forward with the process. Are there any red flags here, or does this all sound about like what you'd expect? It seems OK based on what I've read, but any feedback is welcome.

I will report back about the move in a couple of weeks!

wirehead

Re: NY -> PA estimate: Holman (yay), Moovers (boo)

Postby wirehead » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Oh, by the way, a quick note to the forum admins. You should really not be sending a password via e-mail when a user registers! It's a terrible idea and very insecure.

I did a quick Google and it seems the current version of phpBB has fixed this security issue and no longer sends the password in the welcome e-mail, so maybe it's worthwhile to upgrade? Otherwise, there are several threads that explain what templates to change to keep this from happening. The specific details probably depend on the version you're using. Let me know if I can offer any help on the technical side (computer stuff is my day-job).

Cheers :)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:07 pm

I'll point that out to the site admin, see if he can correct that right away.

Please come back and let us know how Holman worked for you!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Thank you wirehead, I've fixed it.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Your pricing is in line for that weight going that distance. If you are comfortable with the on-site visit from Holman, there should be no reason to be uncomfortable, at this point, with your choice. Shouldn't your refund per 100 lbs under the estimated weight be more like $81 per 100 lbs as opposed to the $18 you indicated?
Do your homework then trust your instincts

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Just a quick heads up, you will need to make sure you like the colors. BLACK AND GOLD, if you are moving to Pittsburgh

All I can say is GO STEELERS.

wirehead

Postby wirehead » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks, John. No, the refund is only $18 per hundredweight. I don't have the full paperwork in front of me, so I'm not sure what the original cost per hundredweight is -- it's not as high as $81 because the total estimate includes the shuttle and other costs that are the same regardless of how much weight is moved.

I asked about this, and he did tell me that the amount they refund back is, indeed, less than what they charge you as part of the estimate, which seems weird to me since it would seem to incentivize them to overestimate weight. But since the quote doesn't feel high to me (and I'm so close to their minimum weight anyway), I'm not too worried about it. I assume there's some rationale based on them possibly losing money due to PLANNING to move more than actually gets moved, but I don't have any insight into how this works. Maybe some of the movers on the forums can weigh in.

wirehead

Postby wirehead » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 pm

JAHaddow - LOL! Strangely enough, my team just so happens to be the OTHER black & gold. WHO DAT! :D

But that's OK, I guess now that the Saints have been knocked out (*sob*), I can root for the Steelers. When in Rome and all that. And hey, I might move to Pittsburgh just in time for a Steelers Superbowl!

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm

It just seems to me that since everything is, and as it should be, based on weight, that $1988 divided by 24.47 ( per 100 lb unit ) should equal $81.24 per 100 lbs. No big deal, as I said, your total pricing is in line and they are giving you an awesome delivery spread so I wouldn't sweat it.

It could be worse... I have been an Oakland Raider fan since the 80's. I guess I'll have to go with the cheese heads, Aaron Rogers is playing lights out!

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 am

If a customer's actual weight is lower than the bound weight on a GPP-1 W estimate, the reduction of their final cost is not as great as it would be had they moved under a non-bound contract. On the other hand - if the actual weight exceeds the bound weight the customer is not paying for that extra weight either. The GPP-1 W tariff guarantees more money for the driver on shipments that come in underweight, especially on short-hauls. On GPP-1 W estimates, if your long distance move is a short-haul (not going far,) you are going to see a lower weight credit factor than you would on a move going all the way cross-country. Long trips get a higher weight credit for each 100 lbs. (cwt) of difference between actual vs. bound weight.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for the clarification - Holman is still my choice!!
Let us know how it goes.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:20 am

Here we go Steelers, Here we go!!! I will be at the game on Sunday, I don't plan on having a voice on Monday morning!!
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Return to “Open Community”