Massive Moving Damage - Will Baker Help?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Wozzer

Massive Moving Damage - Will Baker Help?

Postby Wozzer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I just had my move delivered to me, and the amount of damage is vast. Out of all the boxes delivered, at least 75% showed external damage, with many just crushed and looking like someone hit them with a hammer. My road bicycle is broken at the frame.

I did purchase insurance through Baker International - are they going to step up to the plate and help me with this and what should be my next steps?

The deliverymen were cordial enough, and admitted the damage, so on the inventory form I wrote "box damage" next to the damaged box #'s, and the delivery foreman signed the form. Before I call Baker, what do I need to know about the process? Anyone know if they are generally good or will they try to screw me?

MusicMom

Re: Massive Moving Damage - Will Baker Help?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Baker is a reputable insurance provider. Off the top of my head, I'm not aware of anyone having to actually go through the claim process with them. I hope it goes smoothly for you. Will you report back when it's all done?

Out of curiosity, who was the mover? What did they have to say about the damage?

Wozzer

Postby Wozzer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes, I will definitely report back. Once this process is finished, I'll post up a review of both the mover and Baker's response.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:58 pm

If the boxes where packed properly you would have to try pretty damn hard to damage 75% of them. (or moisture). So I ask who did the packing on it?
Ruges

Wozzer

Postby Wozzer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Apologies for not posting sooner:

Baker International: Was good to work with, sent an adjuster to review the damaged items and reimbursed me for the damaged road bike, furniture and other items. They contended one of the damaged items (a mattress that was supposed to be boxed, movers showed up without a box but promised to box it at their local facility, and showed up at delivery still unboxed, in a bag, and bent/twisted. Baker said that without "external soiling" they would not reimburse but later settled for a partial reimbursement.) I will happily work with them again.

Movers: "Wizard of OZ Moving". I had used them once before for a move where items arrived undamaged but late. This time, they damaged the bike & large furniture items. Boxes had a lot of external wear, but because the contents were so padded most things came through unscathed. Not a "scam", but lower quality service than I would have wanted.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 pm

For the record, where is Wizard of Oz Moving located and why did you choose them? I see that on an earlier thread Big Lee recommended a number of reputable movers to you.

It's good to know that Baker stepped up to the plate. I know of one prior case (in NJ) where they also compensated the customer fairly for damage. Many smaller companies rely on Baker for coverage and your report gives me more confidence that they can be trusted to do the right thing.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am

Does the shipper mean Oz Moving from the Bronx, NY?

Return to “Open Community”