POD packing advice. Anyone packed a Pod before?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mattinla

POD packing advice. Anyone packed a Pod before?

Postby mattinla » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:10 pm

...or has anyone come across any internet links on how to pack one.. just in case my local movers are not familiar.. I would like to have the info, anyway. I am sure it's mainly common sense, but my stuff is going 3,000 miles.

Thanks!

Matt

Michael

Re: POD packing advice. Anyone packed a Pod before?

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:46 pm

Matt,

It is common sense. Its a puzzle. Large heavy things on the bottom, medium weight items in the middle and light items on top.

You should pad wrap all furniture. Thats PAD wrap, not shrink wrap. All upholstry furniture you should shrink wrap and then pad wrap. If your container is going into storage and will be stored outside, I would not shrink wrap. If its going into a climate controlled facility then I would shrink wrap. Moisture and mildew can develop within the shrink wrap due to the fluctuation in temperature if not in a controlled enviroment.

If you can stand sofa, love seats and dressers on end, I would advise to do so to maximize space. If you do that for dressers make sure to pack your clothes out of the dresser. If not, dressers of course are good solid bases from which to pack other items on.

Never place furniture side by side unless it is pad wrapped. Your things will shift and rub, so you want it protected.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:06 pm

Matt, if you're talking about the ABF 7 x 8 x 5 container, I think one of the most important things is to load tightly. Wedge pillows or garbage bags full of bedding or clothes in between things so they don't shift. You don't want items of furniture to rub against each other or against the sides of the container. It's similar to loading an ABF trailer.

The ABF lady I spoke with told me that they won't upend the containers or turn them on their sides in transit, although they may rotate them 90 degrees to make them fit better in a particular trailer. The people at the ABF terminal will probably be your best source of information.

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. I had heard conflicting advice on upending the sofa,etc. I have read it can be potentially damaging, but upending makes sense. The pod will not be in storage, so I am going to shrink wrap. Now about furniture pads... since they do not supply them, is there anyone knows of to get them fairly cheaply?

I have found a great source for boxes here in LA.. a factory direct kind of place that has the lowest prices I have seen. And my boss is giving me as much packing tape as I need and a tape gun...

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:50 pm

Matt, can you post your source for boxes? Many people are moving from the LA area.

This thread is turning into the "packing and loading thread," but here goes:-

Someone posted previously that "Lowe's has cheap good boxes. We got wardrobe boxes for $4 each and ex-large boxes for $3. Consider that most storage/truck rental places can double that cost, Lowe's is a bargain. We spent $50 on good boxes for our nicest clothes/bedding and the rest we just got free."

MusicMom said that Barnes and Noble was an excellent source of free boxes for books, which have to be strong. Note to the unwary: don't pack books in anything larger than the size box that wine usually comes in, or the box will be too heavy to lift easily.

Someone else (IMP?) commented that Kinko's and similar places are a good source of free boxes of the type that paper comes in--they usually have lift-off lids, which is good.

You'll probably have to ask these places to save the boxes for you, because nowadays they are crushed for recycling pretty quickly. It's good to limit most of your boxes to one or two different sizes so you can stack them easily.

Regarding furniture pads, good ones are expensive. I priced new ones in LA and they were about $15-$20 each. One person wrote that he used cheap quilts from Wal-Mart. Kara posted recently ("stemberk") that she used egg-crate / egg-carton pads of the type you put on top of a bed that she bought at Target for $8 for double size and she held them around her furniture with 3" shrink-wrap tape.

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:04 pm

Two words: garage sale

Start now and buy up all the blankets and quilts you can for $1.00 each. O.K. - so maybe more - here's two more - thrift store!

Then donate them at your new location, or have your own

GARAGE SALE

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Thanks for all the great info! Through work I have access to lots of boxes, and I plan to use www.boxcity.com for the specialty stuff like the wardrobe and kitchen and mirrors and some of the big boxes for clothes... You can order on -line but their store is in West LA near the Westside Pavillion.

Matt

Return to “Open Community”