Does anyone have comments about Lightning Van Lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jeepchick

Does anyone have comments about Lightning Van Lines?

Postby jeepchick » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:57 pm

My husband and I are considering seriously to use Lightning Van Lines but have heard a handful of online horror stories. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!! :|

NYCMover

Re: Does anyone have comments about Lightning Van Lines?

Postby NYCMover » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Your best bet is to check the Superlist on this site for companies that have moved people from your area, with good results and favorable reviews. If you need more choices/info than that contact agents from the major van line companies that service your area, like United, Atlas, Mayflower, Allied, North American, etc.

The company you mentioned above has 23 BBB complaints listed for the past 36 months (under 2 different reports, because they "changed ownership" in Jan., 2007.) There are 12 complaints for the past 36 months under the "old ownership" and 11 complaints on file (must be since Jan., 2007) under the "new ownership." Seems like the "new owners" aren't faring much better than the "old owners," when it comes to satisfying the customers. This is a lot of complaints for a small moving company.

Lightning Van Lines (of San Leandro, CA) also has a "driver out of service" average 7 times the national average for other trucking companies, according to FMCSA records. Of particular note is that in one instance their driver was cited for driving a tractor-trailer without being licensed to drive tractor-trailers and in the same incident, was cited for having used alcohol or drugs within 4 hours of the time of the inspection. In addition, FMCSA records also show that they have no tractor-trailers registered for interstate use and they had 3 "hostage" load complaints filed against them since 2005.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:15 pm

One online horror story is too many. Especially when there are lots of good movers out there to choose from that have no horror stories in their backgrounds.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Where are you moving to/from?

jeepchick

Postby jeepchick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:48 am

I wasn't able to find Lightning Van Lines listed..Or the main company of Mega Freight in NJ....The more I hear the more I worry!!

jeepchick

Postby jeepchick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:51 am

farrah7031 wrote:Where are you moving to/from?

We are moving our things out to PA from OR

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 am

Lightning Van Lines is in California and you're moving from Pennsylvania?? Don't do it.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 am

consumer advocate wrote:Lightning Van Lines is in California and you're moving from Pennsylvania?? Don't do it.

The poster is moving from Oregon to PA
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 am

My mistake...didn't read carefully.

I still don't think she should do it. :wink:

Travis

Postby Travis » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm not sure where to start...

I'm local to Northern California. I have bid against these guys numerous times. I won a job the other day, because the rep for lightning actually told the customer "Well, thanks for wasting my time"...

They have bid against my work, and won because they typically undercut their opposition - ALOT. They beat my last office move by over 50%. I called to see how the move went, the custmer had nothing but bad things to say about them. She also mentioned they attempted to try to collect for overages. I advised her through email to stick to her guns, she got a not to exceed estimate.

I worked the former owner as a class a driver. He knew nothing about what he was doing. he mentioned something about the new owners being overseas? I didn't keep him around long enough to get that far.

There's more bad... but theres also some good. They've got a couple local building managements locked down. They seem to like their work, from certain individuals.

My suggestion, from being local, is to stay away. Call some reputable companies. Where in OR are you coming out of? There should be some Large Van Lines up there.
"Getting the job done with a smile"

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I am personally bias against companies in this industry that use names like this. When I think of a quality mover, the name usually tells me all I need to know. Usually the owner of a legit moving company wants to put their name behind their product, or at the very least, have some meaning to it. Using a generic term like this doesn't sit well with me. Obviously there are some well established companies that my philosophy doesn't hold up to, however, I think that you will find that a large majority of legitimate movers are named after one of the following things:

-the name of the owner or founder
-the area that the company is located

Although there are exceptions to the rule, I would check on movers with trendy names like Lightning Van Lines and also names of companies that will put them at the front of the phone book, like AAAA1 Professional Moving Services (I made that up, don't even know that that name exists, although it wouldn't suprise me)
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Lightning must have just started a big internet campaign because we've run up against them TWICE in the last week.

Their driver out of service rating is enough to discourage me, plus not doing an in home estimate.

Travis

Postby Travis » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:07 pm

They have actually tried to underbid me, on the phone with my customer, while I was there. ....................
"Getting the job done with a smile"

Scammed by Lightning VL

Postby Scammed by Lightning VL » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

DON'T DO IT. They were incredibly unprofessional, didn't even use a contract, held my goods hostage, demanding I pay much more than the estimate, and worst of all, damaged or destroyed everything. TOTAL CON ARTISTS.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Scammed by Lightning VL wrote:DON'T DO IT. They were incredibly unprofessional, didn't even use a contract, held my goods hostage, demanding I pay much more than the estimate, and worst of all, damaged or destroyed everything. TOTAL CON ARTISTS.

Hmmm...not that I doubt the veracity of this account...it's just that with 1 post...no detail...and yeah THE CAPS...seems to smell a tad fishy. So howazbout some details Scammed?
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Return to “Open Community”