Fuel surcharge

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gah1211

Fuel surcharge

Postby gah1211 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 pm

I read this headline yesterday:"Price Of Gas Hits Lowest Point In Nearly 5 Years". When I received my moving estimate today it included a fuel surcharge of 5% ($140). I could understand fuel surcharges when gas and diesel were at all-time highs earlier this year. But now that fuel prices have dropped ("plummeted" is another word being used in the media) are most moving companies still imposing these fees? Has anyone challenged them successfully?

gah1211

Re: Fuel surcharge

Postby gah1211 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes, we have a diesel pick up and have been feeling it too. But diesel was $4.99 a gal. here in Leesburg early summer and I just saw $2.65 so that's quite a drop in just a matter of months. I mainly was wondering if ALL moving companies are charging these fees and, if yes, is this amount in line with the average charge?

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:31 pm

The current fuel surcharge IS 5%. Down from a high this Summer of 18%.
The fuel surcharge is based on the National Average price for diesel on the first Monday of every month. It become applicable on the 15th of that same month.
Right now it looks like the fuel surcharge may go lower on the 15th of January, based on the "average" on January 5th, the first Monday in January 2009.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Yes, we all have the same f/sc - Jim is right--5%. The 15th of every month is when the fuel surcharge goes up or down. I have customers who feel there should not be any fuel surcharge now - the problem is the fuel seems SO low because it was SO high. Diesel is still fairly costly.

MikeLitt3810

Postby MikeLitt3810 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:07 am

moverjim wrote:The current fuel surcharge IS 5%. Down from a high this Summer of 18%.
The fuel surcharge is based on the National Average price for diesel on the first Monday of every month. It become applicable on the 15th of that same month.
Right now it looks like the fuel surcharge may go lower on the 15th of January, based on the "average" on January 5th, the first Monday in January 2009.

Jim is right on about this. Gas can drop all it wants and the american plubic is happy. Deisel on the other hand is cheaper to manafacture does not drop because it is truly the fuel that runs the country. If you own something 99% chance it was transported on a truck that burns desiel.
If you go to the local fill up station deisel is rather cheap compared to the cost it runs @ the truck stop where we can fill up.

When you go on your next road trip down the highway and see a giant truck stop sign with 2 prices for fuel one in red and one in green. Us turck drivers pay the higher price because we use credit to fill up our trucks. 1t's insane to carry that much cash. if ya did the math, 300 gall of fuel at 4$ a gal we would be targets.

I do hope you understand why it's there.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:03 pm

You can be sure that if gas prices fall too low, there will be an incident that will give them an excuse to raise prices.

The normal scenario would be a refinery fire that results in a shutdown, or a nice storm that will cause a shutdown.

In California, when gas prices started to drop, the Guvernator tried to get the gas tax raised, so the price of gas wouldn't drop.

People that don't understand the premise of fuel surcharge should consider this.

A truck that has only one shipment aboard (hypothetically) going from SF to NY would spend a heckuva lot more on fuel than the revenue from the job.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”