LA to BOS move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ccmove

LA to BOS move

Postby ccmove » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:14 am

We are moving from LA to Boston in two weeks. I had three movers come out, Northstar, NMS and Andy's transfer. Northstar gave us a binding estimate for 5551 lbs, NMS gave us a non-binding estimate (although the guy said he would do GNTE) for 5506 lbs, Andy's gave us a GTNE for 7060 lbs! We live in a 2 bed apt. I know everyone on this board has said good things about Andy's, but I feel like the rep is trying to rip me off. He asked me who was paying for the move and I feel like he's trying to overcharge because I told him my husband company is paying for most of it. I am 8 months pregnant and asked for pricing with them packing. Northstar gave me: 6181, NMS 6085 and Andy's 8732!

Any advice?

rydog444

Re: LA to BOS move

Postby rydog444 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 am

Call the rep from Andy's and tell him you had 2 other quotes that were both around 5500 lbs. Ask him how much the total would be if that estimate was more accurate. Did he/she provide you with a list of items that were to be moved? If so, compare the lists to see where the discrepency is.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

ccmove

Postby ccmove » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:57 am

Thanks for the advice. I started looking over the breakdown and realized that Andy's WAY overestimated. 10 small bookshelves (only have 5), he has twice as many cartons as the other guys.. 21 of which are for the bedroom.. the only thing I have in there is clothes and I told him we'd be packing our own clothes! He added extra chairs here and there .. 3 bar stools (I have 2), 3 deck chairs (I have 2). It goes on and on. Eventhough it's a GTNE estimate so, supposedly, I would pay on the actual weight, I don't think I can go with a company who is immediately dishonest. I can't believe Andy's has such high reviews here!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:26 am

You can't really hold an entire company responsible for 1 bad estimating job. But you probably should go with a different company: Both Northstar and NMS are good companies.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Can you review the line items of the estimates to see where they are off?

Everyone can certainly have a bad day on the job, so giving a GNTE gives you the actual price at the end of the move. I don't see how that's blatantly dishonest, perhaps the estimator went high on certain items or was careless.

Your weight is off by 20% yet the price is off by 30%. Did Andy's estimate services that the others didn't include?

You should certainly go with whoever you are most comfortable with, and it sounds like the other two estimators were a good fit for you.

ccmove

Postby ccmove » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Andy's came out to requote today. He came back with 5600 lbs, which is more in line with the other two quotes. I guess he was just having a bad quoting day before. The price is still a little higher than the other two companies but I like all of their positive feedback on this site.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm

As of today, NorthStar has 12 BBB complaints over the past 36 months vs. Andy's 3 and NMS's 0, and people posting here haven't been as enthusiastic about NorthStar as they have been about the other two companies.

Return to “Open Community”