Packing and Loading Tips

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
rachel

Re: Packing and Loading Tips

Postby rachel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:44 am

I am using a vault system to move, and just found out that my couch is 7 fet 2 inches but the vault is only 7 feet long. They told me I could shrink wrap the couch (a hide-a-bed) and load it diagonnaly, and that should be ok. Is that really true? How much damage is done to heavy furniture loaded with all the weight on one edge? It is a sturdy couch so I hope it would be structurally sound, but I don't want to risk destroying it...

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:22 pm

It should fit like that. Small chance of scratching a legg and if the sofa is not covered scuffing the outside arm of the sofa. If it has really long legs there is a good chance they will break off. As for the sofa falling apart it depends on the quality of the sofa. With no support on the bottom, the mattress and mattress fram could fall threw on a heavy bounce. But I think I would be more concerned about it pushing the wall down since it is so heavy.

Not sure why your using vualts to move. (shiping them oversea's?) But you might consider getng a sofa crate. Or some moving companies have a taller vault where the sofa can stand on end.
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 am

Just a note that 99% of the ABF mobile storage containers are 93 inches high inside with 1% of them (I think the older ones) being 87" high inside. Maybe Rachel's vaults are high enough, just not wide enough. As Ruges said, it's OK to stand a sofa on end to load it--in fact I think it's recommended.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 14, 2006 12:30 pm

Re-posting a recommendation about where to get very strong cartons for heavy items:
ron7719 wrote:5/14/06 - recommendation...go to Discount Tire or some "custom" wheel store for boxes. Those wheel boxes are STRONG. Best boxes I've found. Just the right size/strength for tools.

Postby Guest » Sat May 27, 2006 3:12 pm

The couch made it just fine, and they were able to get it in flat on the ground. I have a full review of the SmartMove vaults in another string...small, yes, but good.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat May 27, 2006 10:56 pm

We're moving from Detroit to Raleigh at the end of June and we need start packing right away (the start date of my new job is nearly 2 months sooner than I expected it would be). We booked Corrigan (United) for our move and we are going to do the packing ourselves.

Corrigan gave me a price list for boxes and I was wondering if these were good prices for NEW boxes:

Book Carton: $0.75
Medium Carton: $1.25
Large Carton: $1.50
Extra Large: $2.00
Dishpack: $3.00
Wardrobe & Bar: $7.00
Lamp/Pole Carton: $2.00
Shrink Wrap 18"x1500': $24.00

Does anybody know what a Speedpack is? Whatever it is it costs $11.00 (used only)... I thought it was the divider that goes into the dishpack (it sounds familiar from a previoius move), but would that cost nearly 4 times what a dishpack costs?

These prices seem better than some of the online box sites, plus I don't have to pay shipping. Corrigan has an office that is only about 10 miles from me. I called my rep and asked about boxes, she said I could come over anytime... she didn't tell me it was cash or check only until I got all the way out there with only $17 in cash and a credit card! Oh well, I'm off work on Tuesday, I'll try to go pick some up then.

What about the leaf from our dining room table? Do I have to figure out how to put that in some sort of carton, or can the driver just wrap it in a furiture pad on load day?
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun May 28, 2006 6:25 am

Those are excellent prices for cartons based upon our cardboard cost in FL.

Speedpacks are not used for the individual that is moving from one state to another, we use them for local moves and office moves more than anything else. It's kind of a large container, that things can be placed in for very short transport - you are not doing alot of detail packing and wrapping when you use one, hence the name speed pack. You will not want to use this for your move to Raleigh.

The leaf to the dining table can be padded and cared for by the driver, just as your dining table will be.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon May 29, 2006 4:13 pm

I have been reading some of the posts on here and was going to get some stretch wrap to wrap up the Rubbermaid boxes... is there a special kind I need to get for moving, or can I just go get one of those giant rolls of Saran Wrap from a restaurant supply store?
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

Magpie

packing books!

Postby Magpie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:56 pm

Just thought I'd share this tip about packing books (I have too many). I'm a huge fan of file boxes (also called bankers' boxes) for my library. You have to tape the lid down, but they are study (double cardboard on the bottom), fold into shape (no tape for assembly!), and have handles cut into the sides. They stack well up to seven high. They also hold no more than 40-45 lbs of books, so you can actually lift them. A few friends and I, none of us athletes, moved my vast library into a 4th-fl walkup in these boxes, and no one got hurt. It was about 70 shelf-feet of books.

They are pricy if you get them new, but I've been using mine for move after move. I'm not sure where you'd find used ones.

My only other advice is not to buy so many books.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:51 pm

It was about 70 shelf-feet of books.
I didn't realize there was actually a measurement term for books space!

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:55 pm

MusicMom wrote:
It was about 70 shelf-feet of books.
I didn't realize there was actually a measurement term for books space!

Heh. Yeah. It's what allows you to gauge the shelving you need to house them.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:50 pm

If anybody in the Raleigh, NC area needs used boxes, send me a PM.

L.M.

Re: Packing and Loading Tips: and to Diane

Postby L.M. » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:28 am

It appears I will also be using Simonik for my South Jersey move to take place on July 24th, and I also will post my experience. So far they did everything according to the advice I have seen here.

Packing!!!??? I bought a kit from Staples. I assumed these boxes would be fine. Am I right???? I also bought those white standard storage boxes you get at Staples. I am just going to move my breakables (wedding dishes, depression glass etc. myself.

Laurel

L.M.

Postby L.M. » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:38 am

Correction...I got the "packing kit" from Home depot....not staples...though I did get the smaller white storage boxes from Staples..

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:13 am

Laurel,

I think the kit sold by Home Depot is put out by Allied, isn't it? Someone posted that the boxes are a little flimsy, but they should be OK for most things. For dishes you should really use a dishpack with reinforced cardboard and possibly separators for the glassware.

Re-posting something about the cheapest places to get moving supplies:
8/6/06 - I've done a lot of research on the cheapest sites to buy moving supplies (e.g., boxes, bubble wrap, etc.) online, and here are my picks:

-Overstock.com = best deals on medium-sized moving boxes.
-UBoxes.com = best deals on small boxes, bubble wrap & peanuts
-LocalMovingSupplies.com = best deal on wardrobe boxes

I've had no shipping delays on any purchases from these sites. Merchandise wasn't damaged and no problems.

NOTE: There may be sites that sell some of these items even cheaper than what I paid, but I couldn't find any. Keep in mind, my price comparisons between sites took into account: count, size, linear feet, etc. (e.g., bubble wrap 12" X 150' w/ 3/16" bubbles compared with same size on other sites). - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9566

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”