Packing and Loading Tips

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
lettezilla

Re: Packing and Loading Tips

Postby lettezilla » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 am

getting rid of books can be both traumatic and therapeutic, i found. we had probably 80 shelf feet of books (estimating using that cool term learned on this thread) at least before we left london. sold a ton on amazon, gave some to charity shops and put maybe 10 boxes in storage (free), and moved maybe 2 boxes with us. now we can't even remember what's in the boxes in storage! it was so hard to get down to those "key" books, but don't miss them at all, and we're planning on selling/donating most of them when we get back there.

this is almost 100% because the library in chicago is awesome, however.

but i agree that it is such a relief to only be moving a box or two of books rather than the dozens we would have been moving this time last year.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:08 pm

packing a carton correctly can be the difference between a great move and a terrible move. Quick, easy tips for packing breakables:

-use plenty of paper. "Fluff" paper and put it on the bottom of the box, in between layers of goods, and on top before sealing.

-Eliminate unused space. You don't want things rattling around in boxes. At the top of your box, if you have enough space, put a sofa pillow in there. When you are packing the bottom of say, a dish barrel, and you can't find anything to go in a certain spot, fill that spot with fluffed paper.

-Pack things upright. Plates, glasses etc. Everyone tends to want to lay them down. No. Upright is so much stronger. Think of it this way: Take a thick, sturdy glass drinking glass. Put it on the floor, laying down. Now stand on it. BROKEN! Now take an identical glass and put it upside down, standing upright. Now stand on it, if you can balance. Presto! If you take a picture of yourself standing on a glass and post it here, you get brownie points.

-wrapping glassware. Now I'm going to assume here that everyone is going to use unprinted newsprint. For plates, wrap them in bundles of 4, separating each plate with a piece of paper. For glasses, wrap one glass in 1-2 pieces of paper. If you use 2 pieces of paper, wrap it once with 2 pieces of paper, not twice. Now, things like stemware. Wrap it once with one sheet only, then repeat. So your using 2 sheets, wrapping it twice. I'll finish this at another time, when I have time.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

haulinsurance

Postby haulinsurance » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Just a thaught to reinforce the theory of standing plates up. Notice that the trucks hauling panes of glass, are always hauled upright on open frame trucks. Also windshielfs are hauled in vans upright ,secured in cradles. When panes of glass is doubled or tripled it is much stronger, this applies to dishes also but you need to put a piece of paper in between each plate to keep them fram scratching each other. The panes of glass are flat so they will not scratch each other.

lettezilla

Postby lettezilla » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:52 pm

thanks, rydog and haulinsurance, i'm going to spend much of tomorrow packing up our kitchen and china cabinet, so that's super useful!

mvff

Postby mvff » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 am

One question regarding books: some places seem to say that books lying flat is better, but GentleGiant.com and some other places recommended them upright. GentleGiant's video showed them loading books with the spine facing up. I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that this was bad for the books (presumably because the text block could hang down and perhaps tear away from the spine). Probably it doesn't matter that much in the end. I was thinking going with flat (I did that for previous moves) but I thought I would check.

Also, I have made a bunch of "bumpers" using crumpled paper wrapped like a submarine sandwich in paper like GentleGiant recommended. How do towels/pillows/clothes compare in shock absorbency to them? When should I use towels vs. crumpled paper?

Can framed photos be wrapped in newsprint-thickness paper, or is the thicker brown paper better?

Finally, GentleGiant said not to use bubble wrap on framed stuff, esp. paintings. Is there anything else that bubble wrap is notorious for sticking to?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Just a note that there is a good 21-minute video on packing and loading that was made by PackRat, here - http://www.spynbuy.com/action/viewvideo ... upon_code/
It shows all the different types of moving boxes and says that its advice is based on military packing guidelines.

The video is very hard to find but I stumbled on it so wanted to post the link.

UPDATE on 9/10/08 - Fred Hawthorne ("Fred0844") has just re-posted a great link for how to pack which is much more detailed than the above video. Here it is - http://www.packingkits.com/packingcenter/index.asp?a=30

Aidan Weisz

Postby Aidan Weisz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 am

Next time you move, pick a company that offers packing and moving. This way, they come to your house equipped with the necessary packing materials apart from the boxes such as a bubble wrap, mattress cover, packing paper, stickers, corner and edge protector, etc. Always be cautious for there are many moving scammers nowadays.

[signature containing advertisement removed by moderator]

tommor

Postby tommor » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:43 am

[spam removed by moderator]

GP6971

Postby GP6971 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:01 pm

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere, so I thought I would post something that I do. A couple things you’ll need…..most importantly the time, a digital camera and a printer.

When you need to pack something for either at home or a self storage facility, I first assemble the boxes to get a general idea of what I want to pack. I select the main items for the carton and then take a picture of most of the contents (before they are wrapped). Once I have the box packed, I then affix the picture to the carton in a packing slip along with a written packing list. When the cartons are stored, I have all the pictures facing out so I don’t have to do a lot of moving and opening boxes later when I’m looking for something.

I’ve also used this for when I moved and had a moving company transport my HHG. I did the packing and the major change here is not to advertise the carton’s contents with pictures. So I generically describe the room / contents on the carton and then place the pictures and packing list inside the carton on top and seal the carton. At destination, all I did was open the box and look at the photos and I visually knew exactly what was in each carton.

Just something that works for me, but you need the time and the patience to do it.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 27, 2010 4:28 pm

I wonder if a similar idea would work in that, instead of packing the photos, you put a large number on the box and on the back of the corresponding photo, and keep a picture flip-book? That way, if you need to unpack something very quickly you can look through your book, located the photo of the item you want, see it's number, and go right to that box.

Good idea though. Would also show if your items had shifted or if the box had been opened.

GP6971

Postby GP6971 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I started doing that awhile back for the large number of boxes that I have in storage at a self storage facility. On the back of the picture I record the size of the box and any distinctive labeling. Then I can look at the album and I know just where I need to go to in the unit. For stuff I store in the garage and attic I don't bother with the album though. Either way, the bottom line for me is that I have a visual. It sure has saved me time looking for things that I've packed away.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 am

And I think, "Why do people think they need so much stuff that they need to store it, it won't even fit in their house?" But that's just me :-)
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:24 am

Newer houses have surprisingly small closets. Also, seasonal things, etc. Our stuff's in storage because we're staying in a furnished house, plus all our academic accoutrements like a ton of books and music. Only one house we've ever stayed in had a good storage closet.

cjstevenson28

Postby cjstevenson28 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:30 pm

I recommend allowing an insured moving company do the packing, this way, all of the packed items are insured. Most moving companies do not insure items packed by the customer. Be sure to ask your next moving company if they will insure items they pack for you. Also, if you are pressed for time, have the movers come out and pack the day prior. Hope this helped.

[Advertisement portion removed by moderator]

JackTreier

Postby JackTreier » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:13 am

I've found that the best way to pack is by using many smaller, more manageable boxes. That way, you can more carefully and safely pack breakables and can label things more specifically. It makes for easier packing of a moving truck, too.

[Advertisement portion removed by moderator]

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”