Moving to Brooklyn, and need truck parking guidance

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
langland9

Moving to Brooklyn, and need truck parking guidance

Postby langland9 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 am

Hi folks,

Thank god for this website. I've been poring over old posts, but haven't come across one that deals specifically with my own conundrum. I wondered if any of you seasoned hands has any light to shed on moving to Brooklyn.

I'm moving to Sackett Street in Carroll Gardens, a one-way street. There's a single lane for vehicular traffic, a bike line, and cars seemed to be parked bumper to bumper along either side of the street. The moving company has asked me to look into whether a permit is required to park a moving truck. So far, my research -- through the city's helpline, and the department of transportation -- suggests I don't. Still, I'm wondering where the hell a moving truck will fit on this street given its extremely tight clearance. Have any of you had experience moving to one of Brooklyn's narrower streets? If a moving truck is double parked on a one-way street for a couple of hours, would that be inviting massive fines/the wrath of belligerent New Yorkers? Are there any helpful hotlines/departments I could contact that could help me clear some of these questions up? Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be most appreciated! I move in just three days and fear I've overlooked a pretty major loose end here.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Marc

Noone

Re: Moving to Brooklyn, and need truck parking guidance

Postby Noone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:09 pm

The answer will most likely be with the folks who enforce the law. Call the local police and find out directly from them.

NYCMover

Re: Moving to Brooklyn, and need truck parking guidance

Postby NYCMover » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:39 am

To langland9,

I am sorry I did not see your post earlier and it's possible your move is already over - but if not and also as advice for others moving into or out of the area - New York City does not issue permits for moving trucks for pickups and/or deliveries anywhere within the 5 Boroughs: Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

The crew will have to make do as best as possible by double-parking or finding legal parking somewhere (hopefully close to your building) on the block or on the corner. The ideal thing for you to do (if possible) would be to park two (2) cars in front of or in close proximity to your building, then move them the next morning when the truck arrives. If you have one (1) car park at the next spot adjacent to a fire hydrant, so at least the driver could stay downstairs with the truck and maybe he won't get a ticket. The next best strategy is for the crew to get there early (say 7:30-8:00 a.m.) because that's when people who move their cars each day leave and then try to grab the spot closest to the house. Be careful of Alternate Side Parking rules (for street cleaning) because then everyone on the block will be double-parked on the other side of the street and there will be a mad dash for the spots once the street cleaner goes through.

If the truck is ticketed expect the fine to be $95-$115 depending on the type of offense. Avoid parking in bus stops and/or by fire hydrants if possible - those tickets are even higher. If you are moving into NYC from out of state under a van line-tariff contract there will usually be no provision for the company to charge you for any tickets they might receive, but that doesn't guarantee that they driver won't ask you to reimburse him for the money.

On a local move it would be more likely for the company or driver to ask you to pay, but to the best of my knowledge - no one can force you to do so. It could be in your best interest to pay a ticket (when moving by the hour) if you can get the truck closer at an illegal location than it would be to park it legally hundreds and hundreds of feet away, where you are paying for the extra time it might take to push dolly-loads of your things all the way down the block.

ALSO: Please be advised that a shuttle or straight truck will be needed to make the delivery to your home. There is no room to maneuver a tractor-trailer in and out of the streets of Carroll Gardens and even if there was, any vehicle longer than 55' from front bumper to the back of the trailer is not legal on our streets.

Good luck with your move! :)

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”