CHOOSING A LONG HAUL CARRIER

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
moverdog

CHOOSING A LONG HAUL CARRIER

Postby moverdog » Tue May 05, 2015 8:47 pm

In the Moving scam article on how to choose a mover they said "Find out up front if the company will be doing the move themselves, or if they will be sub-contracting the job to another company. If they won’t be moving you then you should move on to another company."
It seems that many highly rated companies use the Major carriers ( Mayflower, Bekins etc) they are connected with, for long distance moves. Is this considered to be sub contracting the job or is standard industry practice for a local company come out and pack you,
and they carry your stuff to warehouse to meet up with a big national carrier to transport your stuff on a long distance move.

Jeff.Walker

Re: CHOOSING A LONG HAUL CARRIER

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed May 06, 2015 11:08 am

No, this isn't considered sub-contracting. If an agent for a van line, as the ones you mentioned contracts your move, they are going to hand the move off to another agent on the other end of the move. While it may technically be a different company, they both work for the same van line and went through the same rigorous process to become an agent, and ideally, their quality should be similar (hopefully similarly good!).

Sub-contracting could be a broker contracting your move and handing it off to a carrier with whom they have no affiliation, or a carrier handing it off to another carrier with home they have no affiliation other than an agreement to pass off jobs. Often times the problem with this is that if something goes wrong, who will take responsibility for the problem? The carrier will tell you that it's the broker's liability and the broker will tell you its the carrier's liability. If you do decide to go this route (not recommended), then make sure that it's clearly spelled out ahead of time who's taking responsibility for your belongings and make sure you get full valuation to protect your goods.

I'm also hoping one of the Pro's will come along and offer their wisdom on this topic.

Noone

Postby Noone » Sun May 10, 2015 11:00 am

A bigger concern is this - who is your agreement really with?

When you sign an agreement with a Van Line, or an agent of a Van Line, your agreement is with them (and the billing will come from them).

When you hire a broker, your agreement is NOT with the broker - it is with the company that actually picks up your goods (the one he sells/brokers the job too). So nothing the broker said matters.

This is why it's called a "bill" of lading - the company who issues the bill of lading is the one that you need to pay, regardless of who you agreed with in advance. Obviously, you want the company that does the billing to be the same one that does the price quote.

This is the general idea - when you work with a Van Line, (while they aren't perfect) you know they are following the rules.

jay1133

Postby jay1133 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:51 pm

New to this board! Hoping I understand what I am reading....My current move is from Houston, TX to Portland, OR. After posting my information for quotes online, I quickly was inundated w/ calls for my move.
I went w/ Mayflower for an in-home estimate, and received a $4371 without a glass table, $507 to crate a cheap glass table, $4878 with table. LOL.....Okay, So this item is NOT going with me.

After receiving the binding quote, I contacted the following , All United, National, American Knights, AllStates, VIP and 24 Hour Moving. Declined all bids due to Deposit required at Pick Up, some up to 70%....THANKS TO THIS SITE, I did not go further w/ any contracts although their pricing was much less.

I now have North American, Allied and United coming for in-house quotes, and will make a decision pending a couple questions below.

My understanding is to go by weight not cubic feet even if contract says binding and is very specific on items?? Is this correct?

Also, is there a huge savings in using U-Pack service since I am moving long distance?

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 pm

You'll want to avoid getting a quote by cubic feet because your consumer protections are in place by weight. You have the right to be present and get a copy of the weight ticket at both the origin and destination. This protects you from fraudulent companies telling you that you've taken up more space on the truck than originally thought. In addition, most consumers don't know how to calculate cubic feet, and this can be used to the fraudulent company's advantage.

A binding-not-to-exceed quote should tell you how much in weight you will pay +/- 10% of the cost for unforeseen expenses, if any. Most reputable moving companies will honor the cost up or down. If the move costs less than they originally estimated, they may charge you less. Keep in mind they are under no obligation to do so.

As to your last question, you'll need to contact U-Pack to find out how their rates will compare to a full service moving company. Depending on the services you use, where the move is, and a few other factors you may save a bunch or very little. There are a lot of factors involved, but either way they'll be happy to give you a quote.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”