Do you need to know your address before arranging move?

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
saunderslee

Do you need to know your address before arranging move?

Postby saunderslee » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm moving to the UK from the US in August and I'm considering shipping a small amount of furniture by sea (big chair, bed and mattress, a few pictures, books and personal items, some kitchen objects). My company will pay for the move so I think it's worth it.

I have a few questions:

1) If you're planning to look for housing after you leave and ship your furniture, can you provide a temporary address and change it within a couple of weeks?

2) How long is a typical move from the West Coast of the US to a small town in Southern England?

Thank you!

Noone

Re: Do you need to know your address before arranging move?

Postby Noone » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:08 pm

You can ship and notify of the delivery address after pick-up.

Keep in mind that when the shipping company quotes service to door, they won't include things at delivery like a parking permit, long carry, or other difficult access charges (because they can't know until you tell them the delivery address). This is normal.

Find out from the companies who quote what the time in transit is. It will depend on the size of the shipment, and how they route it.

However, I can't imagine faster than 3-4 weeks, and likely more.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”