Interstate move to a storage facility

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
chavtwo

Interstate move to a storage facility

Postby chavtwo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:40 am

Hi,
I will be moving from my 1-bedroom apartment in Baltimore, MD to Chicago. I would like the movers to deliver my stuff to a storage facility in the Chicagoland area. I plan on keeping my stuff in storage for 6-12 months.

Should I rely on my moving company to select the storage facility? Or should I research the storage facility separately and get a separate contract?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Jeff.Walker

Re: Interstate move to a storage facility

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Chavtwo,
First, I'd recommend you get three in-home estimates from reputable moving companies. In home estimates are the only way for the moving company to know what you have to move, and it provides a safeguard for you, as the company can't come back on you and say you told them you had less stuff than you do.

Second, many reputable moving companies have storage facilities, or work with companies who do. I'd recommend looking into "climate controlled" storage facilities, as your stored items will hold up better than if they were stored in an outdoor facility with no climate control. You can ask your moving company about storage when you contact them about your move. If you are planning a do-it-yourself move, such as ABF U-Pack or United Containers, you may need to research storage facilities in Chicago, but then you still know to start with moving companies.

There are many good companies that serve the Baltimore and Chicago areas. You can find some of them in the endorsed mover's list to the left, or you can take a look at the super list here:

viewtopic.php?p=57639#p57639

You can also find some very good information in our "Articles" section above that can help guide you through your move.

http://www.movingscam.com/articles/cate ... e-you-move

Keep us posted!

chavtwo

Postby chavtwo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Thank you!

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:33 am

You bet! Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”