What to Know About Moving Companies

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
MusicMom

Re: What to Know About Moving Companies

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 am

So the full service moving companies traveled back in time 100 years and began an industry for the sole purpose of waiting 80 years to defraud customers with overblown prices when the new you-pack-we-drive services begin to be offered.

Gotcha.

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39 pm

"Apparently those who advocate using brand name movers cannot read or respond to requests for details."

Actually, I have, but you choose to either not read, or ignore what I've written. And no, I'm not going to offer pricing.

rwruger

Postby rwruger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Once again, none of you has responded with details or facts. I have replied to every factoid/insult that you have posted. No freight quotes from any of you, no facts that one can check, nothing...just ad hominem remarks. Pick one fact that I have mentioned and refer me to a site that disputes that fact. Freight charges per mile? Insurance? "Special eqpt"? "Better" handling - based on what differences? Refunds of over-estimated per cwt pricing? Packing/loading charges? Simply saying that I am wrong without citing a source is useless to me and others. Name calling and non-sequiturs are not the stuff of reasonable discourse. Anyone...give me a quote for the freight I have described using a name-brand mover and name that mover. You cannot come close to a self-arranged move price. You say that the name brand movers employ people who are more professional. Based on what...the movers' own advertising? Do they use better cardboard? Loaders with bigger muscles? Thicker blankets? Do they whistle while they work and play music into the trailer with my furniture so that it arrives happy?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 am

Why would someone waste their time putting together a quote for you for full service moving (because these guys don't deal with freight) just to prove you wrong? They know they are correct.

If you want more information, read the Your Rights and Responsiblities When You Move booklet. It's something you should have done a long time ago. Start with the definitions, particularly "accessorial charges", "impractical operations", "shuttle service", "tariff", "line haul charge", and lastly "household goods motor carrier". ABF and other you-pack services are not considered household goods movers, legally.

https://www.protectyourmove.gov/consume ... rights.htm

Yes, real moving boxes have thicker cardboard than UHaul boxes or boxes of items shipped to stores (because those are packed with special styrofoam braces and the box is pretty much for the labels and photos of the item). There are even special boxes such as mattress boxes, wardrobes, dish packs with individual cells, mirror/painting boxes with corner protecting foam braces, and very tall lamp boxes. Each must be packed in a way that the item arrives in one piece. This is indeed a specialized skill that the movers are trained for (and in fact there's often a special team that does this in advance of Loading Day), and because it's so specialized, insurance companies assume the average customer cannot do it as well and refuses to pay for damage done to any item NOT packed by the professional movers. The packed boxes are loaded up by these guys carrying them by hand up and down steps to the truck, and repacking them like a tight puzzle into the truck. What you didn't ever mention or even consider is that moving trailers are air rides, while ABF, being designed to carry freight, are spring ride. The spring ride is meant for palleted items full of uniformly-sized boxes filled with items protected by those special styrofoam braces. Household goods, being completely different items in completely differently-sized boxes surrounded by furniture on its side needs a smoother ride.

And lastly, freight haulers such as ABF are considered to be hauling freight, meaning your goods were covered at 10 cents per pound of weight. If everything had arrived broken, you would have been handed about $300 max. With a household goods carrier, the valuation is 60 cents per pound. It's yet another thing to consider when choosing your carrier. I took that chance to save money but I knew about it going in. Did you?

So please, quit with the charges of "ad hominem name calling" and please LEARN from some professionals, and maybe one non-professional who has listened to professionals for 10 years explain all this to first-time moving customers with questions.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”