Tips/Suggestions regarding Uncrating/assembly of furnitures on destination

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
bedhead

Re: Tips/Suggestions regarding Uncrating/assembly of furnitures on destinat

Postby bedhead » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:43 pm

Christopher... if all customer service / movers are like you.. you will get more customers because I WILL DEFINITELY RECOMMEND your company to ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

I think they are forgetting a GOOD COMMUNICATION with their customers and GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE can go a LONG LONG WAY...
FREE ADVERTISING through WORD OF MOUTH!

My friend actually needs to find moving company and I CANNOT RECOMMEND Atlas Van Lines to her as I experienced MISCOMMUNICATION from the local agent I hired and the Atlas Van Lines themselves...

That is what I am trying to point at to everyone here... I guess they missed my point... If that driver or anyone from the local agent or Atlas Van Lines Dispatch people told me what is going on or what is happening... I would probably would understand better what is their point of views OR THEY COULD HAVE GIVEN ME SUGGESTIONS...
INSTEAD I AM STUCK WITH UNASSEMBLED FURNITURES.... because of MISCOMMUNICATION of the company I hired and PAID...

bedhead

Postby bedhead » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 am

Thanks Archie for posting that comment...
RULE #1 IN SERVICE INDUSTRY... ALWAYS MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY!
... and you will be rewarded with free word of mouth advertising for the company... and huge tips and recommendations for drivers/movers!

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 am

bedhead....Chris and his agency are very respected members of Atlas Van Lines.

My point in this discussion is that everyone was dumping on the driver when they were not performing "customer service".

Your comment was that this "rudeness" was indicative of all drivers in the industry was uncalled for. Since you are not complaining about damage or late delivery....I would assume he did his job very well.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I would suggest that, in a service industry, customer service is everyone's job...including the driver. And, IMHO, this is what sets the truly great drivers apart from the rest of the pack...the truly great drivers view customer service as part and parcel of their responsibilities.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:39 pm

If you have ever read any of Ken Blanchard's books on customer service, one of the main points is that customer service is best when the parameters are known and observed by all components.
The problem with this industry is that the rules change depending on the day.
Many aspects of "doing the job" went by the wayside, starting with the consultant and ending with the OTR driver.
Without a set of standards, a set of rules, chaos ensues.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Without the ability to adapt, dinosaurs die.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

condo driver

Postby condo driver » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:51 pm

Who packed the glass and mirror, and was it put in a wood crate or mirror carton? The way i understand it is the origin crew took it apart and packed it. If i was your origin driver i would have explained that it needed to come apart and the glass and mirror would need to be packed and there would be extra charges for either 3rd party or myself to disassemble and pack the glass and also there would be extra charges at dest. to unpack and reassemble the vanity.

If i was your dest. driver, i would have explained there would be extra charges to unpack and reassemble. If you start to complain about extra charges and its an easy reassemble i would just do it.

I think this matter goes back to whom did the estimate ( missing the glass vanity ) and the origin crew not explaining the extra charges.

As a rule of thumb the first two hours and the last two hours you spend with the shipper are what the shipper remembers the most.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 pm

condo driver wrote:...As a rule of thumb the first two hours and the last two hours you spend with the shipper are what the shipper remembers the most.

:thumbsup:
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:02 am

If i was your origin driver i would have explained that it needed to come apart and the glass and mirror would need to be packed and there would be extra charges for either 3rd party or myself to disassemble and pack the glass and also there would be extra charges at dest. to unpack and reassemble the vanity.

Maybe that did happen but the salesperson did not allow for the service in his BINDING estimate, therefor no money. He is having the origin local crew (his own) do it at no charge. They "volunteered" the services of the OTR driver.
The vanity is not the issue. The fleet drivers have become the whipping boys of poor customer service in the rest of the system. I remember a scene in the movie "Gung Ho" about an auto assembly plant. Car moving down the line and a part is not put on properly. When this is pointed out to the line worker, the response was "that's for the dealer to worry about".

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 am

As a rule of thumb the first two hours and the last two hours you spend with the shipper are what the shipper remembers the most.

and the time should start when the call first comes in and ends when the file is closed.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”