Fishing Rod

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
jtchin

Fishing Rod

Postby jtchin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Hey, does anyone have ideas on packing an 8 foot fishing rod? Sports Chalet has a fishing travel thing that's $60. I ws just looking for something simple so the rod doesn't break during moving. I checked out shipping tubes, but i can't find anything longer than 6 feet.

MusicMom

Re: Fishing Rod

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Go to Home Depot and get a length of PVC piping just longer than the rod (take it with you for measuring), then buy two endcaps.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:05 pm

your fishing rods will be fine as is. The movers will load them on top of a tier. I must have moved thousands of fishing rods in my day and the only problem I've ever had is getting hooked :lol:
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

jtchin

Postby jtchin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm

hey, the pvc pipe is a really good idea. i think i'll try it. i have 4 rods 6' - 8', i don't want them just to get stacked on top of boxes and have to potential to break the tip off....and i didn't want to spend $60 on a carry case if i didn't have to. thanks for the help guys.

condo driver

Postby condo driver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 am

Music Mom I'm impressed. Another alternative is go to a carpet store and get a rug tube, cut to length of the rods and tape the ends.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 am

Go to Home Depot and get a length of PVC piping just longer than the rod (take it with you for measuring), then buy two endcaps.

Excellent advice. Don't forget to adhere some foam pieces to the inside of the end caps. Wrap rods individually before sliding them into the tube to reduce chances of line guides being broken.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”