Weights and how to advoid a scam with weight tickets.

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
MikeLitt3810

Weights and how to advoid a scam with weight tickets.

Postby MikeLitt3810 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 pm

ok first thing since you are paing out of pocket. I will suggest you as the customer tell the sales man you require a back weigh as well.

It is next to impossible to get a weight to weight the same 2 times in a row. they will always be off by a few pounds. 6 miles to the gallon a gallon of fuel is about 6lbs. so just the drive from your home to the scale a truck can shed a few pounds.

If in fact it's 2000 lbs over the estimated, a re weigh will let the you know if it was something the driver did to make more money.

you should have the right to see your weigh tickets. there are normally 2, one without your shipment one with your shipment. the diffrence is your actual weight.

now this is your job to be aware. take note on truck and trailor number. they will never be the same, and both numbers are on the weight tickets.
on the re weigh make sure they reweighed the same units.

with this in mind it will make it a lot harder for the driver/or his co. from over charging you

ok you are loaded up and the truck is headed to the scale. driver gets his weight and immedatly calls his dispatcher lets them know total box count that they packed tells them the total weight of the shipment, you now get a call and they tell you what the total cost is going to be.

if it sounds off. immeadetly ask for a reweigh in your destination city. so now the driver has to weigh your shipment deliver it and then get a weight without your shipment on it.

he will have a total of 4 weight tickets. all having his tractor and trailor number on it. if they are off slightly it's because of the fuel, or what not, if their off 1500 or more. I would bring that to the attetion of the relocation co.

Some of the tricks they use. I should not tell this but I am going to.
because I feel it is theift.

-Helper weighs about 200 pounds. he gets out of truck on light weight and back in for heavy weight,
-Packing materials, depends on size of job for weight. but each bundle of paper weighs about 50 lbs.
-Fuel If I get a light weight with needle on empty and fuel up for hevy weight my truck gained 1800 lbs.
-Equiptment, If the mover shows up at you're house offloads all his equiptment into you're house. make sure he got his light weight befor doing such. ie. moving blankets, ramps,
-Not pulling on to scale properly, If i pull on at a certian angle my back tires can hang off on the light weight. This would get me outcasted for posting. but here goes. biggest secret in the industry. picture a tire on your car. every thread gap on the rear tire hanging off the scale platform is 500lbs. ***next to impossable to reproduce same results on a reweigh***

I hope by sharing this the industry will shape up.
I'm not here to rant about the Co. I work for, I'm not looking for side jobs, I have been in the buisness for about 15 yrs, and If you seriously need help you can e mail me and I'll try to get back to you asap.

MusicMom

Re: Weights and how to advoid a scam with weight tickets.

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:53 pm

One could ask, but there's no guarantee a company out to scam a customer will comply. It's pretty hard to re-weigh the shipment when the mover shows up at 1 am when all the scales are closed. And if you refuse to take the shipment at that time, you get charged another day of "storage" or they dissappear and store your things for another week or two.

Just remember that you are a professional that follows the rules. The crooks ruining your industry do NOT follow the rules. You need to know how they work so you can fight back.

mterrymover

Re: Weights and how to advoid a scam with weight tickets.

Postby mterrymover » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 am

Dear Sir/Mam

I think that last fellow to respond to is telling the truth. The biggest thing about getting weights for your shipment is that you are there personally at the scale. Therefore find out where the truck scales are in both where you are moving from and to. Further insist that is where you want your shipment weighed and like anything else check it out beforehand. Also, you can make sure both weights are completed at the same scale. This way right , before the driver even calls in the weight you will allready know. Hope this helps
The owner is in the House

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”