Half-Full Relocube

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
kc222

Half-Full Relocube

Postby kc222 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:03 pm

I need to move ~200 cubic feet of boxes ~1,500 miles. There are too many boxes to ship by USPS, UPS, etc, yet there are too few to rent a min-10-ft long van from a one-way truck rental company. I'm considering the ABF Relocube solution.

My question is, what is the best method of preventing boxes from shifting when I am unable to entirely fill the cube? Should I be paranoid about boxes shifting and bouncing around?

MusicMom

Re: Half-Full Relocube

Postby MusicMom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:06 pm

I would guess that your priority should be to cover the floor completely and work your way up. They don't shake the cubes up and down. :wink:

MikeLitt3810

Postby MikeLitt3810 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 am

here's an idea as well worked for me. I bought something on e bay, I could not pick it up in my own truck so I hired R L carriers through a broker. you place what you are shipping on a pallet supplied by who is shipping.

Cube your shipement up on pallets shrink wrap the pallets and they will pick it up and drop it off where ever you like.

It ran me 180$ to ship one pallet. from west palm beach to pittsburgh. the pallet weighed about 1600lbs.

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 pm

There are several other options such as a youload/wehaul type carriers. One of them is Broadway listed on this site. Another is a company called Movex based in Tampa, FL. They use multiple carrier and charge by space or floor feet on the truck. They are supposed to have ramps and straps so you can load to the ceiling and strap off your boxes. another option is to pay a local mooving company to palletize your boxes and arrange for them to ship via common carrier. If you do this you need to arrange to have it shipped to their terminal and you pick it up there.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”