Loading Question: 2 Separate SAM Containers

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
lnester

Loading Question: 2 Separate SAM Containers

Postby lnester » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:07 pm

New to the forum, great info here!

We are moving cross-country, but will be storing for a few months while we look for a house. We have lots of stuff; 4 BR worth of stuff, so we're renting two SAM containers (16' x '9).

Should we use one container to load all of our boxes, and the 2nd container to load all of our furniture? Or should we build base layers with the boxes and mix furniture into both containers?

Also, we have a very nice antique dining table that we will be packing very carefully. The top comes off in leaves, so we'll be left with a frame essentially with the legs attached. I'm thinking we place this upside down on top of a box layer with some items in the middle to stabilize - is this correct?

Suggestions and help are very appreciated.

MusicMom

Re: Loading Question: 2 Separate SAM Containers

Postby MusicMom » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:57 pm

As a non-professional, I'm going to mentally picture the towers of boxes in my own current storage unit and say you don't want to completely fill one container with only boxes, because there's only so high you can pile them before they begin to crush the lower boxes. For instance, I've got solid boxes about 18 inches high each, and with them stacked 6 high the bottom one's looking a little strained. Then factor in the movement of the container, and you might end up with crushed belongings at the bottom.

Of course, I could be wrong, so hopefully a pro will pop in here and give a trained opinion.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:38 am

http://fred0844.tripod.com/moving/index ... c-tier?i=0

Use cartons to fill around furniture. The picture of the carton tier was used to illustrate the concept of across and then up.

lnester

Postby lnester » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks, Fred. It makes sense to use some heavy furniture as a base to a tier.

Any other advice?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:39 pm

Since you probably have some nice and/or fragile things, it might make sense to hire a moving company to help load the SAM containers. I just got back from a trip to Denver, where I met one of the owners of Amazing Moves in NE Denver (I had talked with him on the phone several times previously). I saw their warehouse facility and trucks and even met many of the workers, who happened to be coming back from jobs at the end of the day. The company moved one of my relatives locally in 2006, and (then and now) I was very impressed with their clean-cut, respectful workers. They would know how to load things to avoid damage, but just as a personal opinion, I think your plan for the antique table is a good one. You should protect the legs and other exposed surfaces with blankets, of course. Also, it's important to make sure that furniture items can't shift around and rub on each other or on the container walls.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”