Advice needed - moving from Michigan to Virginia

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
caitouer

Advice needed - moving from Michigan to Virginia

Postby caitouer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:58 am

We are moving from Michigan to Virginia in a couple of weeks. We have one 18 months old and a cat. I do not have a lot of relocation fee (I would guess it is less than $2000). After some researches here, I decide to go with ABF (door to door). Then we will drive to Virginia with baby and the cat.

Luckily we are still in apartments at this moment. So we do not have a lot of stuff to move and we are going to sell our sofa, dinning table and coffee table. Items we have are: a queen size bed, a night stand, 2 dressers with drawers, futon, wooden coffee table, portable washing machine, crib, swing, playpen. Then tons of clothes, shoes, toys.

I would guess 6 feet trailer might be enough.

Then next question is moving boxes. I do not want purchase kit as I do not need mirror boxes and wardrobe. I just want numbers of small, middle and big moving boxes. Any idea where I should purchase good quality moving boxes?

Thanks.

MusicMom

Re: Advice needed - moving from Michigan to Virginia

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:25 pm

I went to Borders every Tuesay afternoon and asked if I could have whatever boxes they could spare, which was quite a few over a month. Also, Barnes and Noble might save a few for you each morning, but they put them in the recycle bin as soon as they're done unloading so you need to either be there at opening or ask them to hold.

Any storage place or rental truck place will sell boxes, as well as packing/shipping places. Mattress would probably be easier to handle in a box than in the plastic bags (speak from experience)

Consider this a good time to go through your closet for clothes to donate.

rydog444

Re: Advice needed - moving from Michigan to Virginia

Postby rydog444 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm

I was at Ikea a couple months ago and I think I recall seeing that they have moving boxes for sale there and they were well priced. I'm pretty sure it was Ikea, maybe somebody else can verify that.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”