tipping

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
japabale

tipping

Postby japabale » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:19 pm

Can someone please give me some suggestions on tipping. I know it is considered right to tip the packers, those who load the truck and those who unload but how much is considered appropriate without being exhorbitant? Thank you.

P.S. If there is anyone in Great Britain reading this, 'tipping' does not mean illegally dumping trash. :wink:

rydog444

Re: tipping

Postby rydog444 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 pm

My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:39 pm

As a teenager in America, I learned that tipping generally involved a large farm animal.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Jim, I thought that only happened in the Midwest?

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:30 pm

F, there were a lot of old ranches in Chatsworth and Northridge 25-30 years ago...... lots of cows and other barnyard animals.... the horse trails still exist, but that's about it.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 am

Reputable movers do not ask for tips, but because tipping is common, you can offer anything you'd like. There is no standard like in other industries, so the amount comes from you.

Don't be afraid that you might be giving too little, thereby insulting them, because they sometimes get none, and will likely be grateful for your offering.

A resonable amount is $25-$50 per mover per day.
Hope this helps.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

MikeLitt3810

Postby MikeLitt3810 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:53 am

It's a service industry.. Seriously tho anything over 200$ each is to much. I am a mover and I cringe to set a max ammount but truth be told anything over that ammount is too much. It is a good idea to tip your movers before you start the move. 20$ each when they show up.. It's not right but you will get 100% top service their additudes will be great all move long. and if you have diffrent crews the word will be passed that you are infact a tipper and you will get same white glove service at the other end.

Another tip in tipping, do not give the whole tip to the driver. most drivers are greedy and will not share. envelopes with the names of the crew is great. The driver is accountable for your move 100% and he makes more than the helpers. this should be reflected in your tipping. So don't hand the driver 100$ and his helpers 20$ try to keep it even.

As well it is a great gesture to have some drinks on hand for the crew. we are in big trucks it's next to impossible to get to the local store and pick up a drink or lunch.

suggestions for a lunch is not pizza. We get offered pizza about 4 times a week. Subway, white castle, things that don't run you a ton but that the crew is not going to be offered every day.

And last but not least the best form of grattitude is to take down all of the names of the crew. and write a letter to the moving co. telling them how the move went. I rather have that done 7 days a week than a 100$ tip. the more letters I get the more work I the better paying shipments I get. so that 45cent stamp 15 min of time you gave up. Gave me 5 more jobs.

angeliqueish

Postby angeliqueish » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm

IMO, Tipping is really up to you. If you can see that those movers are friendly, careful, responsible, and worth it, you can give them fair tips. They will really really appreciate it.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”