Items damaged in move and no insurance

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
jasonjr

Items damaged in move and no insurance

Postby jasonjr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:57 am

Hi there,

I recently used UK based moving company London Baggage

http://www.london-baggage.com/

to move several items from England to Northern Ireland, including a number of large paintings. When they arrived they were badly damaged with corners broken and holes in them, etc. It seems they were moved by a number of elephants, as the paintings were made of 6mm MDF braced by thick wood. I can't even imagine what degree of negligence was required to damage such sturdy items.

Anyway, if you view the website, you will see why I didn't take out any insurance on them as it was 50% of the total value of the item, for each item to be insured. The movement itself cost £400 (which i barely had) and I could not afford to pay for insurance, trusting the company would do a fair job on moving my paintings.

When contacting the company, I received this in an email

"In reply to your email before. I am sorry to hear that your items were
broken on arrival in Belfast.

According to your file, you declined our Standard Liability Shipment
Protection, so your consignment has no cover. We advise all customers to
take out Standard Liability Shipment Protection. As a company we are
unable to accept full liability for items which have been lost or damaged
in transit regardless of where loss or damage may have occurred without a
declaration of value and payment for us to accept the liability to that
declared value in a contract. Otherwise we would be open to unlimited
liability on each and every move, and indeed if we were to accept such
liability, it would not be necessary for customers to take out any sort of
shipment protection cover or insurance. However, please note that we and
/ or our agent have a limited liability, if we have been in breach of
contract or negligent in our duties, which is not the case as the damage
is attributable to transit damage."

I am at a loss here- is there anyway of getting some compensation from this company? i feel I've paid them £400 to destroy my paintings

Jason

MusicMom

Re: Items damaged in move and no insurance

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 am

Well, you did decline the coverage, right? I'm sorry there was damage, but this is what insurance is for.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm

Who packed them?

jasonjr

Postby jasonjr » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:30 am

Hi, yes I declined coverage and had packed the items myself. they were very sturdy mdf packed with industry standard shipping blankets.

thanks
jason

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:50 am

company has zero liability for two reasons
1) shipment was uninsured
2) items were packed and unpacked by the shipper. How does the carrier know the items were properly packed to their specs and that the items were not damaged prior to packing.

apple3154

Postby apple3154 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 pm

If a person does not want to pay insurance and the items they are moving or shiping are paintings or other fragile items they should spend a little money on a custom wood crate. if items are packed well inside the crate it is unlikely that there would be any damage.

Joe Big Apple Moving

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:05 am

I guess I'm a little late to the party here and I don't have much to add other then that which been written by my peers. Except this: it never ceases to confound me that a consumer will spend thousands of dollars on a move, but cut corners the few hundred dollars it costs to purchase loss or damage valuation. I just don't get it. Although every professional mover makes every effort to handle shipments entrusted to them with care and attention, occasionally an article may be lost or damaged. In addition, "accidents happen." And very occasionally the accident is catastrophic. IMO it pays to purchase loss or damage valuation...no matter how professional you believe your mover is.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 pm

I would go so far as to say that when planning a move budget, PLEASE allow at least a couple hundred dollars for full value coverage.

People often consider only the transportation, as in the case here where the shipper was on a tight budget.

In this case, why were the paintings wrapped in blankets? Either crating them or at least using industry standard mirror cartons would have offered more protection.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 am

I just read the shipment protection offered for 5% (not 50%) of the replacement value.

Even had he purchased this coverage, it wouldn't cover damage, unless it was a total loss, goods were stolen, or the box was wet (not likely for air-freight). Despite the fact that it's called "All-risk", because it's for owner packed goods, it offeres no protection against damage to individual pieces.

I think what we have here is a consumer that didn't have enough money to hire a full-service shipping company (which is what was needed to do this job) and instead went with a company who was happy to tell him they could do the job when, in fact, it should have been clear to them that this was out of their specialty. Then again, the website says that they promote "self-pack". I suppose they think the common shipper knows when he needs a picture crate instead of blankets. Why they think that, I have no idea.

I don't know the law in the UK, but you might have a case. Check with a lawyer to see if he sees what I see. It might also be that the amount of damages are to low. A lawyer will tell you that.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 am

Noone wrote:...I think what we have here is a consumer that didn't have enough money to hire a full-service shipping company (which is what was needed to do this job) and instead went with a company who was happy to tell him they could do the job when, in fact, it should have been clear to them that this was out of their specialty...

This is a very good statement. All too often I see consumers who, in their search for the cheapest price, set themselves up to be taken advantage of those who mis-represent price and service capabilities. It appears that it is very easy to believe someone who is telling you what you want to hear. Perhaps, often, some of the ensuing consumer outrage might be best directed into a mirror.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

bjoseph

Postby bjoseph » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:33 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:I would go so far as to say that when planning a move budget, PLEASE allow at least a couple hundred dollars for full value coverage.

that's true, most of the cases we want the best service against lowest cost. but some times we loose our valuable things due to this cheap service. you can't blame that moving company who is responsible for that, because you know that it was your priority for cheaper price.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”