Comprehensive packing guide?

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
Ozymandias

Comprehensive packing guide?

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm moving in five weeks, and since I'm a relentless perfectionist I'm starting to pack now to make sure everything is precisely how I want it (I haven't decided yet whether to go with ABF or with a full-service mover, but at any rate I want to pack the boxes myself). The problem is... I'm a relentless perfectionist, and I've never been very good at packing boxes. Is there some website, or even a book, that could elaborate on the best ways to pack various things? I see a lot of questions about packing specific things here, but nothing that points toward a more generalized guide.

I know this probably sounds dumb, but I could really use the help for fragile and irregularly-shaped things. Last time I moved, I used about one big roll of bubble wrap for every two boxes for my kitchen stuff, because basically what I'd do is wrap each individual item twice then put two more layers between each layer of items (naturally, this also led to me using a lot of boxes). Surely there must be a better way to pack things compactly without them breaking? That's not my question here, though; it's just the tip of the iceberg.

So, anybody know of a resource like this? I don't mind picking up a book or something from Borders if one exists.

Fred0844

Re: Comprehensive packing guide?

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:26 am

www.packingkits.com
go to the "packing center"

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 am

Fantastic, thanks. Any place that starts with "how to assemble a box" is comprehensive in my book.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 am

try to get mover's cartons. A little more expensive, but better for 2 reasons.
1) they are designed for the weight and
2) they are designed to fit into the load.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks again. Any advice for where to get these? They're easy enough to find, but I was wondering if you (or anyone else) had an opinion on who has the best ones.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm

(Way OT)

Just curious, is your username from the James Patterson book?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:52 pm

The best place to get movers boxes is.........movers? Just a guess, but seems logical. Many times movers give a few free to their customers, or sell them at a decent price to walk in's. Find a nearby mover and check them out, you might get lucky.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 pm

farrah7031 wrote:(Way OT)

Just curious, is your username from the James Patterson book?

Which James Patterson book? I'm using it as a double-reference to the Percy Bysshe Shelley poem Ozymandias, and to the character of the same name from Watchmen.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:13 pm

The Lake House and When the Wind Blows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lake_House
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_W ... _Patterson)

Great book if you like things like that.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”