insurance -- full value?

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
kanderson

insurance -- full value?

Postby kanderson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Okay, I have done some research and it managed to make me a little more confused. One site said that all moving companies automatically provide full value insurance (FVP) unless you signed a waiver for it. . . then other people are paying for it.

Here's what I want: Insurance that covers if the movers mess up my stuff so they either replace it, repair it, or give the replacement cost. I dont' need much, I'm moving probably 20-25 boxes, a platform bed, 1 med. bookshelf, 1 small bookshelf, a chest of drawers, a bicycle, and a couple of stools. Basically, less than a small studio's worth and it's already packed.

Also, is it automatically covered if they do damage to my dwellings like scratches, holes in the wall, etc?

Thanks!

farrah7031

Re: insurance -- full value?

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Tell your mover you want full replacement valuation and you will need to pay extra for this. You do not automatically get this, you have to pay for it. You automatically get $.60/pound for damages for an interstate move if you don't purchase additional valuation.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Any property damage that is the fault of the legit mover is covered.

FVP is available at an additional cost to the shipper. It is never free.

What is free is the $.60/lb coverage, that is standard for any move. Some companies may give FVP away for corporate moves (national account), or as a AAA discount. But other than that, I have not seen FVP given away otherwise.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 pm

ryog, just as an FYI - I used to work for a mover where 90% of the moves were corporate related. As such, the negotiated tariff with each corporate client included FVP at $0 deductible for freeee. On the other hand, we also charged for every accessorial in the world allowed under 400M, and even 400L in some cases. Made up for it in almost every situation, except for that one client in Anaheim with the mouse ears; somehow we screwed up almost every move we did for their people.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Jim, read the last paragraph of my previous post. I said that. :D
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Sorry Ry. For some reason I stopped reading after the 2nd sentence. MY VERY BAD.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:46 pm

It's all good!

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”