Protecting vases and other breakables

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
MusicMom

Protecting vases and other breakables

Postby MusicMom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:33 am

Real Simple magazine had a good suggestion this month:

After wrapping your vases and stemware in newsprint, tuck them inside clean, empty milk or juice half-gallon cartons. They get an extra layer of protection, and you have more uniform packing abilities.

I imagine small knick-knacks can go in pint containers as well.

condo driver

Re: Protecting vases and other breakables

Postby condo driver » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:14 am

Thats a good idea, also when packing you can fill large pots and plastic bowls, also small ones too with fragile glassware. Small waste cans in baths you can wrap and put liquids in, buckets in garages you can wrap liquids and put in, then put the whole item in a box and mark with arrows.Thats just a few examples of extra protection with items you got to pack anyways.

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:19 am

That is a really good idea to do that. Every layer of protection against possible breaks is going to help! :)

MikeLitt3810

Postby MikeLitt3810 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:14 am

Stemware, Ok here's how I been doing it for years, I did like the millk carton idea. I don't drink enough milk to do that with all of my customers.
Ok get a book carton also known as a 1.5 about about 5 sheets of paper in the bottom of carton, now wrap the Stemware in paper about 2 sheets per item, stand them tall inside the box, NOT ONT THEIR SIDES!! lol you can fit about 12 in each carton if dine correctly you will notice there is room for one or 2 more but you need that space for additional paper filler. Repete this step with another 1.5 carton. Ok now take a Dish carton and both 1.5's will fit inside. line the bottom with 5 sheets of paper. inserte both boxes upright. and you will have enough room on the inside of the carton for a few cookie sheets a cutting board and most silverware trays will fit on top to finish the carton. Fill empty space with paper seal and make sure there are arrows on outside of carton indicating the direction it is safe to transport the carton. as well BIG X's on all sides means that contents are fragile.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”