Cheapest and best way to pack/ship a large plasma tv

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
aquateen

Cheapest and best way to pack/ship a large plasma tv

Postby aquateen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I have a 42 inch plasma tv and my movers quoted me 820$ to pack and move it. No way am I paying that.

What is the best way to pack this thing? I cannot find a box in any of the box websites for plasmas. To save money I want to pack it and take it in my car. Or if I can find a good price, have someone pack it for me and move it for me (or have my regular movers move it after it has been packed)

Also interested in finding a place that sells boxes cheap. Looking for a package deal.

Thanks!

Jim

Re: Cheapest and best way to pack/ship a large plasma tv

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 pm

You may want to go back to the place where you bought your plasma and see if they might have a box available - preferably a box from the same maker of your TV. It's possible the reason the price is so high is because the mover would rather NOT move your plasma; our guys hated moving those things because you'd have to (1) special crate the thing if the shipper didn't have the original box, and (2) plasmas have a funny way of NOT working once they arrive at destination - and then blame the packer for the TV not working.

I'm sure there will be others that will lend a hand as to how to handle the thing - one item I do know is that you should make certain the unit is off for at least 24 hours before the move....
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

aquateen

Postby aquateen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Sounds like my best bet is to sell the thing. :(

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Yes, definitely the best way!

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:30 pm

The best movers do insist that plasmas be crated. We are not big fans of "original packaging". In addition - "tip & tell" sensors are placed on them. These will change if the item is tipped and that would be the only way a mover would accept liability, including if you have purchased additional protection. Your inventory should read "MCU" for all electronics, including plasma tv's - this means mechanical condition unknown. The mover has no way of knowing if your electronics work at origin and thus cannot be held responsible at delivery.

All of that said - bought my husband a 50" plasma for Christmas last year and told him that when we sell the house - we sell the TV with it.
There are still good people who move good people.

aquateen

Postby aquateen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:04 am

Okay one more question.

I called UPS and they have a box that will fit the tv. What if I pack it myself with bubble wrap so it doesn't move and move it myself. I am driving to Seattle from Philly. If i make sure it is vertical and does not move, what are my chances of breaking it?

TY

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 am

UPS offers a new service through their UPS Stores that if you allow them to pack something and ship it they will take liability if it is damaged. I would ask them.
There are still good people who move good people.

aquateen

Postby aquateen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:28 pm

I wonder how much that would cost? This is a $1500 TV. And I had called them yesterday asking to see if they had a box that would fit my tv and they never mentioned it. Huh.

Best buy were total assholes. They have so many tv's and they refused to help me even though I spent 1500 at their store. They say they get tv's every day and throw the boxes away but wouldn't put one aside for me. I thought that was pretty shitty.

There is one place online that I found that sells plasma tv boxes. $345 for the box and $200 to ship the box to me. Unbelievable.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I really love this website. I don't know what I would have done without it.
Last edited by aquateen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquateen

Postby aquateen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Just wanted to update that I ended up putting an ad on Craigslist for the box and not less than 10 minutes later a man called saying that he was getting a 42 in plasma delivered the next day. He gave me the box and the foam and I'm all set and the movers can take it now. It is a good thing too because this box is HUGE. If anyone has this problem I suggest using Craigslist or just going to a Best Buy or Walmart and asking someone buying a TV if you can buy their box.

Sunny1

Postby Sunny1 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Anyone have an idea of where on Craigslist to post the ad and how to word it?

I put up ads for both a tv box and a computer box and so far no replies. I put it under wanted.

I don't know why anyone who just got a tv/computer or who has the boxes in storage would be perusing the wanted section o craigslist. I think it has a better chance under the computer section or general or soemthing, but those are for people selling stuff.

Any idea?

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:20 am

most moving supply companies are now selling plasma tv boxes for less than 200.00
three of these we use are cds moving equipment, offices in l.a., chicago and vegas i think, phone # 1-800-225-3659.
or, pioneer packing, 714-540-9751
or golden state container,180-288-5100
each will be sold with a 'plasma kit', which consists of many piecs of styrofoam used to make the tv a snug fit in the box.
i buy these from these companies and reuse them over and over.
if you were to bring one to my door i buy it from you after you were finished with it. or if you move often, save it.
as for pricing , lowest is golden state, then pioneer, then cds.
good luck, don
don,owner of so cal moving company

Sunny1

Postby Sunny1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanx for the tip. I'm going to call and see how much they want.

The only other place I found plasma tv boxes is on uline.com but they only sell them in packs, of 5 I think.

The moving company has an outside party and that's $409 and I might do it so I have 1 less thing to worry about.

I thought about selling it, but I'm sure I could only get a few hundred for it and when it comes down to it it's going to cost me at least $1,000 to replace it. I'm getting rid of so much I think I will stick with my tv.

Still trying the craigslist search tho'

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm

The only way to have peace of mind if moving a plasma tv through a third party is to pay to have it properly crated.

The reason for that is plasma tvs have to be moved in an upright position.
Professional craters use what is called the tip n tell method, which means that you know at the time your tv is delivered whether or not it has been tipped over or shipped in any but the upright position. That little tidbit of information might be the difference in having a damage claim honored or denied.

Contact a local mover, and ask who they use for their third party crating, and get an estimate for your tv. I'm 600 miles from home, or I would contact my guy and ask what the range should be.

Even if you have it crated, purchase transit insurance for additional protection. If your tv is worth $1500 no time to skimp now.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

condo driver

Postby condo driver » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:54 pm

For anyone buying a plasma or lcd tv, i recommend keeping the box for future moves, and alot of warranties make you ship the tv back to the manufacture for repair.

Also, any one buying front load washing machine, make sure you keep the bolts to block the tub. They can be expensive and hard to get.

nabordawg

Postby nabordawg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:10 am

Hey, all. Thanks for this thread. I have a 52" LCD and a 42" DLP TV and do not have the original boxes. I am getting 3rd party crates quotes for the LCD and understand the in-transit insurance need.

I am taking things in a trailer (for temporary living with my parents for a few months) when we drive from MI to OK so have thought about taking these to save some costs but think it may be best to let the professionals handle it.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”