A more reliable volume estimate?

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
ArchieWhite

Re: A more reliable volume estimate?

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:09 am

Tim, you have 3 advocates for the ABF/Be/Moovers, I'm just trying to be an advocate for the North Americans, Allieds, Uniteds, Mayflowers and Atlases. Not every customer can load their own container ( ABF/BE) and Moovers cannot possibly perform every move that comes along. There used to be other advocates of real movers, but they seem to have faded away. Yesterday there were 2 instances of bad advice, one involving movers insurance ( don't buy any, the movers already have it....wrong) and, call a mover and get a professional opinion of how much space, (then use that falsely obtained info with someone else....wrong.) To even hint that it's ok to waste someones time like that under false pretenses is not right.

I suggested that when a cube sheet is needed, buy a completed one from a professional, but I can think of an even better way, you should get one posted in .pdf format on the website, and shippers can download and do it themselves. It's not in code, anybody can do it, just check off the items, then add up the cubes.

And have you noticed the trend here at the moving scam website is actually away from scams, both in progress or after the fact? At one time, this place was mostly about scams, but that has abated greatly, which is good, and I give this website full credit for bringing a big slowdown to the crooks that caused the hostage moving situation to get out of control. The websites focus these days seems to have evolved over to advising people how to select a mover, and if there are advocates for the DITY movers, there should also be room for the advocates of the full service movers.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:48 am

Correction: Tim has several advocates for CONSUMERS, not for specific moving companies. Whomever would give the best move to the person asking for help is who we send them to. You focus quite a lot on writing negative comments of Moovers, ABF, and BE, but yet you don't comment to the affirmative when we suggest several local agents of major van lines. Please be more balanced.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 am

ArchieWhite wrote:Tim, you have 3 advocates for the ABF/Be/Moovers, I'm just trying to be an advocate for the North Americans, Allieds, Uniteds, Mayflowers and Atlases.

Archie, ABF, BE, and Moovers are the ONLY companies that Movingscam.com officially recommends. Nobody is suggesting that everyone use them - we're trying to help people use the right moving company for their move. Period. It's been that way since I started and it's not going to change until the industry changes so you're going to have to get used to it.

Also, the volunteers don't constantly cut down the North American's, Allied's, United's, etc. and they don't pick apart anyone who likes those companies. We don't tell people not to use them, as long as the specific van line agent has been a problem.

ArchieWhite wrote:Not every customer can load their own container ( ABF/BE) and Moovers cannot possibly perform every move that comes along. There used to be other advocates of real movers, but they seem to have faded away. Yesterday there were 2 instances of bad advice, one involving movers insurance ( don't buy any, the movers already have it....wrong) and, call a mover and get a professional opinion of how much space, (then use that falsely obtained info with someone else....wrong.) To even hint that it's ok to waste someones time like that under false pretenses is not right.

I suggested that when a cube sheet is needed, buy a completed one from a professional, but I can think of an even better way, you should get one posted in .pdf format on the website, and shippers can download and do it themselves. It's not in code, anybody can do it, just check off the items, then add up the cubes.

And have you noticed the trend here at the moving scam website is actually away from scams, both in progress or after the fact? At one time, this place was mostly about scams, but that has abated greatly, which is good, and I give this website full credit for bringing a big slowdown to the crooks that caused the hostage moving situation to get out of control. The websites focus these days seems to have evolved over to advising people how to select a mover, and if there are advocates for the DITY movers, there should also be room for the advocates of the full service movers.

I think the bad advice you're talking about was explained to you yesterday, and it sounds to me like you misunderstood what was being said. I'm not going to re-explain the whole discussion. You're more than capable of reviewing the discussion on your own.

I pretty much live here, but we've all noticed the change. The site has much better rankings in the search engine, so people are able to find Movingscam.com before they move instead of after they get scammed as was most often the case before. That doesn't mean that the scams have slowed down all the much. We've all had to adapt, and do what needs to be done, but I'd rather help people find a mover than help them get out of a scam any day.

If you'd like to try to argue this until your blue in the face, that's your choice. You know I don't waste my time with that. I've asked you to show some respect. Don't show me that it was too much to ask.

Tim Walker
Movingscam.com

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:05 pm

Archie, ABF, BE, and Moovers are the ONLY companies that Movingscam.com officially recommends. Nobody is suggesting that everyone use them - we're trying to help people use the right moving company for their move.

Be careful! We shouldn't lump them all together in the same class as movers or they might be expected to comply with same oversight regulations as legitimate household carriers.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”