Tipping Your Loaders/Full-Service Movers

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
weathergal

Re: Tipping Your Loaders/Full-Service Movers

Postby weathergal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm a government employee doing a full service move (packing, loading, storage-in-transit, etc) from Dodge City, KS to Grand Forks, ND. Since Dodge City is kind of the middle of nowhere and doesn't have any local companies anymore, they are sending a crew from Wichita (Heartland Allied Moving and Storage). However, they are hiring a local crew to pack me up the day before loading. How do I tip when it will be three separate crews (packing, loading, unloading?) Is $20 per person on each crew okay, plus drinks and food? Do I give more for the driver? Is there one group that would typically get more than the others?

Thanks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 pm

The rules for tipping are the same in the boonies as anywhere else. Give what you feel is appropriate for their service.

I'm curious, if there are no movers in Dodge, where will the local crew come from?

weathergal

Postby weathergal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks MusicMom,

It turns out I misunderstood, when they said "local" they did mean Wichita. I also found out (at 3 pm the day before the move) that they were going to do the packing and loading on one day. I got more notice than the crew did, as they got a cell phone call on the way over to Dodge informing them that they were going to load in addition to the packing job they were expecting. It was a family (dad, mom, and 12 year old son that did the easy books and dvds) who had been in the moving business for years and now subcontracted out from Hearland/Kings Moving and Storage in Wichita. They were very fast and professional despite the last minute nature of the job. I ended up tipping $30 each (gave the entire amount to the driver/dad) along with bottles of water/pop and dinner. Hopefully they were happy with that.

Thanks again for the help.

allpromove

Postby allpromove » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 am

Wow great i like moving service because mover done very difficult task.Thanks

*Self-Promoting Link removed*

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:28 am

The spammer here was
Their insurance is inactive

Name : ALL PRO MOVING AND STORAGE LLC
USDOT Number : 1796944
MC # : 660035
Address : 992 S 4TH AVE BUILDING 200 UNIT 417
BRIGHTON, CO 80601
Mailing Address : 15501 E 112TH AVE UNIT 38-C
COMMERCE CITY, CO 80022
Telephone : (720)434-2757
Fax : (303) 835-7208

Safety and Insurance

Safety Rating : Not Rated
Review Date :
Most recent Safety Rating Data
Licensing & Insurance Status : Inactive
Most recent Insurance Data

Fleet Size

Number of Trucks : 2
Number of Tractors : 0
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

The Happy Mover

Postby The Happy Mover » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 pm

I work in the industry but in Canada. I have to say, the whole tipping concept is foreign to half of our clients! I consider it a good day when I come home with an extra $20. Don't get me wrong, I've seen the %15 variety but not often. Oh, I never have damage either! Correction, 1 cheap chair leg 3 years ago (I got a tip on that one).

It makes me wonder...are people not worried about their household possessions?
It's better to KNOW the truth than to BELIEVE the truth!

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:26 am

Trust me I understand your frustration. Most of the northern visitors that come to visit both in Yuma and Panama City don't even tip the service help in restaurants. It is worse with Europeans since the tip is usually figured in the bill.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 am

The American system of tipping low-paid restaurant servers has bled over into other industries, and now sadly many service employees EXPECT tips. I hate that envelope that falls out of the newspaper delivery in early December, or the self-addressed envelope in my mailbox, or the one on my hotel room table. I hate feeling guilty that I didn't tip the valet who drove my car 20 feet. Restaurant servers should be paid normal wages, and tipping should revert to bonuses given to service employees, unexpectedly, for exceptional service.

The Happy Mover

Postby The Happy Mover » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 am

Would this be awesome service?
1. Runners covering all carpet for every move.
2. Any drawers shrink-wrapped to ensure they stay in.
3. Pre-move scratches on wood blended with marker.
4. Loose legs tightened where possible.
5. Smiles all day.
The list goes on but I do all of this more than %95 of the time. Oh, and I STILL get the "Golden Handshake" more often than not. :hmm:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 am

If it's above and beyond the contracted service, done with a good attitude, and in general, engages the customer in a way that makes them feel good about the service, yes. Tipping someone because they lifted heavy things all day but complained about it the entire time makes no sense to me. They're paid to life heavy things, that part is taken care of. The good attitude is what you're tipping for. Or maybe if they're doing so under extreme circumstances and you feel guilty, like heavy rains or high heat.

The Happy Mover

Postby The Happy Mover » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:04 am

Thank you! You have restored my faith in the human race...now if I can get my customers to follow your advice I'll be The Ecstatic Mover!

juliancdranga20

Postby juliancdranga20 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for giving some ideas for tipping the Loaders or full-service Movers. this idea is best that firstly give some tip to loaders after start working.

susankaufman9533

Postby susankaufman9533 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 am

My crew of 4 men were moving me by shuttle about 15 miles from Ft Lee, NJ to the Bronx, across the GWB. I paid to have everything packed, except clothes and personal items. Packing included expensive oil paintings, furniture and priceless stereo equipment. It took them 6 hours because their truck was too small, they were arrogant and spent the entire time telling us the were the best. We felt secure knowing we contracted for Full Replacement Value, with a $250 deductible. We tipped in cash and they said "not enough", we felt threatened with all our belongings in their possession, so my husband wrote them a check, doubling their tip. They expected 20% of the total move to Florida, which they weren't making. They destroyed three
Of our most irreplaceable items and Belkins reneged on the contract.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 am

Note: Susan's experience is NOT normal for loading crews. Susan, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Relocation

Postby Relocation » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 am

Most professional packers and movers will never recommend giving tips to their workers because they are supposed to work to the best of their capability for the fees paid to the company.

However, a little tip never did anyone any harm, au contraire it may just ensure you better services over and above what is offered to others. But for that to happen, you will have to tip them upfront and tell them that reward awaits at the end of the work too.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”