Tipping Your Loaders/Full-Service Movers

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
rydog444

Re: Tipping Your Loaders/Full-Service Movers

Postby rydog444 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:21 pm

First of all, as a mover, a tip is never expected. Of course it occurs to you that "Hey, I think these people might tip us." But it is never expected. It is, however, very appreciated.

In all honesty, if you cannot afford to tip your movers, don't. The movers should be happy with your genuine appreciation of their hard work. If they are not, then that is their problem. If you feel that they did an awesome job and went the extra mile for you, return the favor. Write a nice letter to the company they work for raving about how great they were. You may not be tipping them per say, but you may help them to get a raise or better paying jobs.

I would suggest one thing though. If you are gonna tip, tip an appropriate amount. Remember, this is only if you can afford it. If I am doing a full service pack, load, drive, and unload move, I could have a week or more tied up into a move. Assuming the person can afford to tip, and someone with this amount of goods usually does, I would rather be not tipped than given an inappropriate tip, like a ten dollar bill to split 2 ways.

I would rather hear a genuine, "thank you so much for taking such good care of our stuff" and leave it at that than that followed by a ten spot each. Not everyone thinks about tipping the movers and I would rather believe they didn't think of tipping. Otherwise, they thought of tipping and decided the week of work and TLC we just put into everything these people own was ten bucks.

I agree with not tipping the movers at the beginning. It won't do any good as a bribe. You can't bribe a bad or inexperienced mover to be good. Judge for yourself after the move and go from there.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

aquateen

Postby aquateen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:19 am

Well since no one asnswered my question, and the quote came to $2500, I tipped $60 each way. I think it is bullshit to NOT give a tip or just feed an water the workers unlless they are doing a bad job. I tip the woman who colors my hair 20% but I don't have to tip the guy that just hauled 3000 lbs of furniture into and out of my house? C'mon guys. Don't be cheap. TIP.

amandariehl

Postby amandariehl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:55 pm

This question is for those on this forum who have been drivers/loaders.

I'm using a well-recommended company, so I'm confident they will do a good job. My quote is for $2400, for 3000lbs for 2000 miles.

How much is an appropriate tip given the weight and mileage? I plan to have food and drinks ready as well.

Thanks!

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Assuming you recieve good service, an appropriate tip for a load this size would be $30 at origin for the crew to split, given at the end of loading. If they do things above and beyond, tip accordingly. If you have the same driver delivering you and everything looks good at delivery, $30 at delivery would be nice for the crew to split. Now when I say "for the crew to split" I am saying give each person individually the same amount. If there were 2 people, $15 each. 3 people, $10 each. Now, if you were happy with the move and driver, etc, I would throw him an extra $20. $80 total minimum if the move was good to excellent.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

amandariehl

Postby amandariehl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Ok, $30 at origin and $50 at destination sounds fine. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be insulting them.

Thanks!

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:52 pm

yea, really the only thing that may be an insult as far as tipping a mover is tipping them an amount that you might tip a server for waiting on a table of 4 for an hour.

tokmik

Postby tokmik » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:26 am

We had a 2 man crew load our belongings this week. They were here from 10:30 a.m. until around 6:30 p.m. We didn't think the load would take that long, but it was because there were just 2 of them. We fed them lunch and made drinks available throughout the day. They had lunch leftovers for dinner.

bedhead

Postby bedhead » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:54 am

What happens if you do NOT give any tips? What would they think? And how do they react to that? I am just wondering how they would think or react to that situation...

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Not everyone tips, so a tip is not expected. If they did a good job and met your expectations and you do not want to tip, that's fine. Show sincere gratitude and write a letter to the company raving about what a great job the movers did and the driver in particular. Fill out the survey sheet that the company sends out to you and let them know that the driver did an awesome job and you would recommend him to anyone. Seriously, a tip is great instant gratification, but a letter like this is priceless.

If they didn't do a good job, obviously, no tip and fill out the survey sheet honestly.

Stiletto

Postby Stiletto » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Is this enough tip? Three movers were here around ten a.m., not sure what time they are going to finish but it's about one thirty pm now. I packed most of the stuff myself except for the electronics, dresser, bed, couch. I bought them all lunch and bottled water and gave the lady (yes, a lady!) whatever stuff I wasn't bringing - and offered my big glass top computer desk and patio furniture and mini wine fridge if they wanted it.

I was planning on tipping thirty each on top of it. Is that enough of a tip? The load is little over 3000 lbs and they're driving from VA to AZ. Not sure if it's the same drivers going across the country.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Of course that's enough, a very nice tip at that.

faganking

Postby faganking » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:14 pm

I am paying $2400 for a load out in NYC and straight into storage in NJ with the same company. That's a lot of money but I have a lot of stuff. It will be a six man crew. I will definitely provide bottled water (good idea) and keep the AC running the whole time. Any advice for tips on a job like this will be appreciated.

Note: I have painstakingly packed everything myself. The only things they will work on is one dresser, some book shelves, one table, a love seat and a few minor items that couldn't be boxed.

4WeHelp

Postby 4WeHelp » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 pm

As movers in Cincinnati we appreciate any tip a customer gives us. Sometimes they send us with a few extra bottles of water, other times a customer will give us $100 each. While money is always our favorite we realize in this economy not everyone has enough money to tip 4 movers $50 each.

My point is, be courteous, appreciative and give what you can comfortable spare. We know and are thankful for it.

4WeHelp

Postby 4WeHelp » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:23 am

And one other thing, just today a customer offered the guys beer the moment they showed up and it got me to thinking. We aren't allowed to drink even after the job is finished because we still have to drive back to the office. If you ever have a mover take a beer, fire them and call someone else.
If you make your decision based on cheap prices, you will remember the service long after you have paid the price.

greens moving solutions

Postby greens moving solutions » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 am

Most of these posts are fairly accurate. I have been in the business for many years and currently own my own moving company in Vancouver BC Canada. Many of my clients do tip and tips range from $20 to $100 dollars per job. The best advice I can give is to have snacks and drinks for them at the beginning. This shows them that you have respect for the hard work they are doing and suggests that a tip may be provided at the end of the job. Clients who are impersonal and offer no refreshments or snacks do not receive the same service as those who do. Be nice and respectfull and remember that it's most likely they don't get paid very well.

If a mover hints at tips before the move starts you should definitely keep your eyes on them. Tips should only be provided when the job is done properly and in good time. For more information on basic moving times and other information specifying how to reduce moving times check out [website removed, as advertising is not allowed]

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”